Added 1 new A* page:Tried using my tiniest brush instead of pens today, and...it didn't work at all. At all. I hadn't realized it, but in the week and a half that I've been inking with pens, I've already gotten used to their increased accuracy and responsiveness vs a brush--a brush is plenty fun to freehand with, but now that I'm putting more and more work into my pencils, apparently what I need most of all is sheer accuracy in translating the graphite into a more permanent form, and for me the pen is way better at that.|
Here were the pencils:
And it was a darn good thing I took that photo, because as I said the brush inking kind of got away from that exact image I'd wanted; I went in over the brush marks with a pen to touch it up, and that helped (you can check out my unusual pen/brush hybrid inked original page in its auction on eBay), but certain details were no longer where I needed them to be. So, for the digital coloring, I worked from the photo of the pencils, rather than the scan of the inks.
And that worked really well. In fact, I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll try scanning the pencils, and coloring based from those. I may still need the inks if I want to add in some organic lines, so I'll have those, too--and now that I'll have the pencils as the primary coloring template, I can kind of cut loose on the inks, that'll be fun : ). But the pencils should be the most accurate for the coloring; for instance, those lines around Selenis' eye were traced with the polygonal Lasso Tool from a selection of the pencil lines--I'd been unable to get quite that same look from her any other way.
Pretty stoked about the results I got and hopefully will get from this method. Only down side so far is that it's taking me a good deal of time, but eh...well, first you get good (I'll settle for halfway decent!), then you get fast, the comic pundits on the podcasts always say. We'll see if they know what they're talking about, I guess! Uh, eventually.