comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
A* Episode 6 

Polished up the script and started on the storyboards for episode 6 today; here are the first four (OMG spoilers!):

You can expect the final versions of these, which should be out by the end of this week, to be a bit more polished, not to mention verbose. ;D

Anyway you might be able to tell that the opening of episode 6 will be a bit atmospheric, or at least, inside an atmosphere, and speaking of such things, in case you missed them when I posted them on the forum, here are tiny slices of some gorgeous images I came across while doing research for this episode yesterday:

(image from NASA/ESA)

^ A small section of the Eta Carinae Nebula, home of hypergiant star cluster Eta Carinae, whose cycle of nova-scale explosions--last observed from Earth in the 1840's, when Eta Carinae briefly became the second-brightest star in the sky--is generating its own double-headed nebula inside the larger cloud.

(image from Sloan Digital Sky Survey)

That is the center of our galaxy, as seen from Earth; the middle of those vast encircling clouds of glowing gas, dark dust, and shining stars is where our story takes place, for therein lies the very real supermassive black hole, Sagittarius A*.

For the full versions of those images, check the forum thread.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:50 am

Phew, finished the 100+ little doodles that make up episode 6's storyboards, which means tomorrow I can start on the actual comic/animation panels, yay! Here are a few of today's 'boards that actually came out looking like something other people might be able to recognize, rather than just my own weird visual shorthand:

This one even animates (if it doesn't, try clicking on it):

Had to figure out what kind of 'do to give that female character today; had to be something short, but short and wavy didn't look butch enough, short and spiky has been done (*cough*), and Vero already fills up enough of the bald quota, so I ended up giving her an extreme buzz cut. Bzz-bzz!

By the way, if for some weird reason you enjoy looking at these messy storyboards, it might interest you to know that inside the "files" link on each completed episode's movie page lives an "animatic" version of the episode in .gif format: all the original storyboards strung together in sequence, making a crude, soundless prototype of the episode's animation...except you can see all the embarrassing mistakes and things I had to correct later when doing the final art. :o

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 am

BC wrote:
By the way, if for some weird reason you enjoy looking at these messy storyboards, it might interest you to know that inside the "files" link on each completed episode's movie page lives an "animatic" version of the episode in .gif format: all the original storyboards strung together in sequence, making a crude, soundless prototype of the episode's animation...except you can see all the embarrassing mistakes and things I had to correct later when doing the final art. :o

You can bet it!

I think is a very interesting way to learn how an Astar episode take shape, how Ben mind imagine the matter that later he plasmate into what we see at the end of the project.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:23 am

And we're off!

Added 5 new A* comics:
Not quite as hm "pristine" as the storyboard doodles I guess ;) but I'll be able to animate the vapors in these versions.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:12 pm

The latest two daily comics are part of the same panning shot. I put the full panoramic view up in the episode 6 art gallery; click this small version to get to the ~3000px-wide full version:

Added 2 new A* comics:
So we've finally got a den of ill repute! :)

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:49 am

I like the atmosphere - no pun intended - of the new episode so far. Hey, I can finally use that seedy bar theme I've been saving. Neat.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:20 am

Seedy? But I don't think there's anything like natural soil on Pyrite! :D

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:11 am

Added 2 new A* comics:
And here's a bonus image, this will split time with the image in daily 9 as Vero's saying the line in the animated episode:

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:56 am

Added 2 new A* comics:
These two are part of another pan-o-rama, this one doing some cross-parallaxing. I've put the full wide image in the gallery, check it by clicking this tiny version:

Today's update is brought to you by the Crab Nebula, proudly serving the interests of crustacean life forms since 1054:

(Image from NASA/ESA)

The gnarly structure of the Crab Nebula was my visual inspiration for the nebula sweeping in on Pyrite. But unlike Pyrite's nebula, the Crab is actually a very young nebula, however, born from a supernova recorded on Earth in 1054; its high-energy glow is caused by a pulsar--a rapidly spinning neutron star--at its center, the primary offspring of the massive explosion 1000 years prior.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Arrrghhh!
What a beautiful cool image!!!!!!

Now i can't wait to see the episode!!!

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next