comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
A* Episode 25 

Added 1 new A* page:
I need to make it an iron-clad rule to draw just one eye on people in close-ups, because two eyes is just too hard. . P Anyway if you want to see all the white ink I tend to pile up over one eye or the other in the actual A* artwork, you can take advantage of the Big A* Original Art Sale that is going on now and buy one of the actual physical paintings behind the comic pages--for just $10! Just look for the gold "original art" at the lower left corner of a comic page as you're reading through: the pages with that gold link are still available for purchase, and clicking the link will take you to their shopping page with more views and info about the piece.

Thanks to all the people who have bought pages so far--I now have more room in my closet for all the future A* artwork I have to do! ^_^

Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I made a silly animated gif out of today's page and posted it on my tumblr, because that seemed like a good idea.

Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 am

Added 1 new A* page:
A post on Google+ led me to a recent research paper succinctly titled A Periodically Varying Luminous Quasar at z=2 from the Pan-STARRS1 Medium Deep Survey: A Candidate Supermassive Black Hole Binary in the Gravitational Wave-Driven Regime. It's a bit technical, but the upshot is that a) lots of galaxies should have not just one but *multiple* supermassive black holes at or near their centers, because this is what you'll have, at least for a while, after galaxies have collided, since each galaxy would have its own central supermassive black hole to throw into the mix, and b) these supermassive black hole binaries ("SMBHBs" :) should be detectable by looking for tell-tale variability in the light they give off--oh, and c) the researchers think they've found one using that method: quasar PSO J334.2028+01.4075, about 10 and a half billion light years away from Earth. And they think lots lots more will be found once this type of analysis is applied on a large scale!

Wed May 27, 2015 1:13 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Mice in space develop thin skin declares a new BBC article--but it isn't that space mice take insults to heart more than Earth mice, it's that, after 91 days on the ISS, the skin of three test mice was actually thinner than normal. Also, the hair follicles on it were stuck in "grow" mode. While only a small scale test, so its findings can't be considered conclusive, it may start to help explain why "astronauts tend to experience increased skin irritation and find that minor wounds, such as scratches and abrasions, take longer to heal." It is thought that these changes are due to the relative lack of gravity in orbit, and they could have serious implications for extended exploration of space by humans--not to mention their mice.

Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 am

Added 1 new A* page:
There's a new BBC article about colliding globs of plasma shot out of a supermassive black hole which is kind of fun--Hubble spotted this over the span of 20 years, and it was able to see this happening at the center of galaxy NGC 3862, 260 million light years away, because the supermassive black hole propelled the plasma up to 98% of the speed of light!

~~~~~~

Listening to free audiobook recordings of the Sherlock Holmes short stories got me on the path of this amazing and extremely rough : p coincidence in common or once common systems of measurement: a league is to a mile as a parsec is to a light year as the circumference is to the diameter. Right? Sorta? Spoooky.

Fri May 29, 2015 5:47 am

Added 1 new A* page:
The Big A* Original Art Sale continues! That's the great deal where currently all of my pieces of original art made for the comic--watercolor paintings, ink illustrations, and so forth--still available for sale through this site are going for just $10 each. : ) Yes, everything must go! ^_^ Just look for the gold "original art" link at the lower left corner of the images as you browse the comic, and that'll take you to the sale page of the original piece of art from which that comic page was scanned.

For instance, here are a couple ink drawings that are still available, from all the way back in episode 17, which is when I switched from ink wash to straight ink! Click on the thumbnails to see bigger photos and more info about each piece (such as that these two are both 17" wide, for instance):

Image Image

Those and many more unique pieces of the A* story are yours to own for just $10 as long as this sale lasts--unless someone else buys them first! : )

Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I added a note to the top of the about page mentioning that A* started off as an animated webcomic, and I added a page to the site where you can watch animated episodes 1-7 back to back in embedded YouTube playlist format. (Over the weekend I flipped back to the start of the comic and was paging through it, and it struck me that I should probably have an explanation somewhere as to why the format and pacing of the first seven episodes is so different!)

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:10 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I mailed to a reader as their monthly reward for supporting the comic through the A* Patreon campaign : ):

According to my current script we have just two more pages left in episode 78, so in theory this weekend I'll be able to put the episode 25 e-book together and get it mailed out to all the folks supporting A* through Patreon at the e-book support levels. : ) That's what I'll be shooting for, anyway!

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 am

Hehe! Careful Selenis.. you may be hiding it 'poorly' from Theiry.. but that smile is probably the most genuine expression of growing affection for someone else other than your slavish devotion the 'Mothers' nebulous goals that you've EVER shown!

I can't blame you though.. I'm starting to like Theirry too.. he is a charming rogue... isn't he? :)

Theirry is closer to Selenis' own heart than Vero ever was! Though I do wish we could find out Vero's ultimate fate... closure would be nice.

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:31 pm

sunphoenix wrote:
Hehe! Careful Selenis.. you may be hiding it 'poorly' from Theiry.. but that smile is probably the most genuine expression of growing affection for someone else other than your slavish devotion the 'Mothers' nebulous goals that you've EVER shown!

I can't blame you though.. I'm starting to like Theirry too.. he is a charming rogue... isn't he? :)

Theirry is closer to Selenis' own heart than Vero ever was! Though I do wish we could find out Vero's ultimate fate... closure would be nice.

Closure? Pfft. I'm not even gonna tell you what happens to Thierry! ... At least for a while. I think. He'll probably be back before Vero gets mentioned, though! >_>

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:39 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next