comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
A* Episode 26 

Added 1 new A* page:
A fresh month is upon us, so supporters of my Patreon campaign at e-book reward levels can expect a download link for another A* e-book in their mail soon--hopefully I'll get that done this weekend despite 4th festivities. : )

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 am

Added 1 new A* page:
There may be only three or four weeks or so left in The Big A* Original Art Sale! But for now you can still take advantage of it to pick up any piece of A* art for sale through this site for just $10 (as opposed to the usual $50 for most of them!). Just look for the gold "original art" link at the lower left corner of the comic images as you read through the story: when you see it, that means the original painting, drawing, or whatever behind that A* page is still available for purchase, and clicking that gold "original art" link will take you to its sale page with info, details of the piece, and a big photo.

There are bunches of pages still available! To help you get started, here are a few, still available at the time of this writing! Click the thumbnails of these 17"-wide ink illustrations (well, the first is ink wash, specifically; they're both from episode 17, where Selenis was infiltrating a cult's moon base!) to get to their sale pages:

Image Image

Notice that in today's page, just as I did way back in episode 17, I still bail out of drawing two eyes in the same head in close-ups! I tried, I triiiiiiiiiiied to get that second eye to cooperate , but it just wouldn't. So...visor reflection/obfuscation to the rescue! Yes it's all smoke and mirrors to conceal that darn second eye. . P

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I said I'd get the monthly e-book rewards mailed out over the weekend to those lovely people who have them coming for supporting A* through its Patreon campaign, buuuut I didn't! So I'm off to get a start on that now, hopefully I'll have them all taken care of in a few blog-slacking evenings here. >_>

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 am

Added 1 new A* page:
The second eye! The second eyeeeeeeeeee~~~

(Also I got all the monthly e-book rewards emailed off yesterday to those supporting the A* Patreon campaign at the relevant support level, so those should be in your inbox now. Thanks for your support, it's a huge help!)

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:09 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Oh boy, it's late/early and I gotta go get another A* page boxed up and ready to ship off to another A* reader. Thanks everyone who's been buying my artwork, by the way! Whether it's the new pages that go for auction daily on eBay, or the older pages for sale directly through this site (the Big A* Original Art Sale has three or so weeks left!), your purchases are much appreciated, and I'm always happy when one of my paintings finds a home. ^_^

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:33 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Rare system of five stars discovered is the descriptive headline of a recent BBC article about just such a discovery 250 light years away from us: years of reading little pulsations in the light reaching Earth instruments has told astronomers that the system in all likelihood consists of two binary stars orbiting each other at a distance of 21 billion km (that's just over 4 times Neptune's distance from our Sun)--one of the binaries is a "contact binary," which means the two stars that make it up are so close together that their outer atmospheres are actually touching each other!, and the two stars in the other binary are only separated by a little over two diameters of our Sun--with a *fifth* star orbiting the detached binary. One of the astronomers involved calls systems with this many stars "extremely rare," adding only that NASA's Kepler telescope had discovered another quintuple system.

Speaking of which, Wikipedia lists two known quintuple system (with a third considered a dubious classification, apparently), three or four sextuple systems (including Castor, a star in the constellation Gemini, and one of the brightest in the night sky--the giant star Pollux in Gemini is even brighter though!), and two septuple (seven stars!) systems. No system of more than seven stars has been found...yet!

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:36 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Hey let me tell you about the Big A* Original Art Sale! It's been going on for months now but it *will* be drawing to a close in three weeks-ish, so that's how long you've got to snap up any piece of original A* art available for sale through this site for just $10--as opposed to the usual, non-sale prices of $50 or so! Yes that is a pretty good deal and a lot of pages have already been bought :), but there are still some instances of my best work to be found! Just flip through the comic and look for the gold "original art" link at the lower left corner of the comic pages--that indicates that the page is still available for purchase, and clicking it will take you to its product page with details and a big photo and so forth.

For instance, here are a couple black ink pages from the very noir-ish beginning of episode 18 that I thought came out rather well--and they're still available for instant purchase as I write this! Clicking these thumbnails will take you to their details pages:

Image Image

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:55 am

Added 1 new A* page:
As I write this, NASA's New Horizons probe is just two hours away from its flyby of what was once known as The Ninth Planet: Pluto! Although as a matter of interesting trivial fact, "Ninth Planet" has meant a lot of different things, at different times, and maybe depending on who you ask! Check out this copypasta from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Ninth planet may refer to:

• Pluto, considered to be the ninth planet from its discovery in 1930 until its reclassification as a dwarf planet in 2006; still considered a planet by some scientists
  • Neptune, the ninth-closest planet from the Sun from 1979 to 1999 (with Pluto then considered the eighth-closest planet from the Sun)
  • The asteroid 2 Pallas, considered to be the ninth planet in chronological discovery order from 1802 until its reclassification as a minor planet in the 1850s
  • Jupiter, considered the ninth-closest planet from the Sun from 1807 to 1845 as a result of the discovery of minor planets
  • Planet X, various hypothetical planets beyond Neptune

But back to Pluto, which will always be The Ninth Planet as far as I'm concerned! : P NASA has a video-or-app-based simulation showing what New Horizons will be busy doing during its all-important flyby (it's only taken 9.5 years of flying faster than any other spacecraft to get there!). Those of us who just want to see the pretty pictures will be most interested in those, of course. You can see on NASA's Deep Space Network Now page just what deep space antennae are communicating with which spacecraft; New Horizons has a normal transmission rate maximum of just 1 KB/second, meaning it takes about 42 minutes just to send back a single photo! And that's after the five hours it takes for the signal to get from Pluto to Earth! Then there's probably decoding, processing, and whatnot... But who knows, maybe by some time today (Tuesday) we'll be able to see the first razor-sharp photos of Pluto, ever! !! It might be a day or so more than that though for all I know. And this is assuming that the flyby goes as planned. : )) Go New Horizons!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I'm not sure why I keep making organically shaped spacecraft. Like, I'd been envisioning drawing this ship with all sort of angles and jutting spurs, but then I realized that didn't really make sense in terms of practical space ship design. : P Hum!

Speaking of angular spacecraft, the BBC says New Horizons: Spacecraft survives Pluto encounter, so hopefully we'll start seeing the first-ever high definition photos of Pluto from its flyby later today!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:00 am

Oh my Selenis... that's not a very lady-like expression!

"I'm not sure why I keep making organically shaped spacecraft. Like, I'd been envisioning drawing this ship with all sort of angles and jutting spurs, but then I realized that didn't really make sense in terms of practical space ship design. : P Hum!"

Well at least it does not look like a giant flying phallas! Er...um.. nevermind... :) {Jus' kidin' by the way!}

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next