comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
A* Episode 26 

Added 1 new A* page:
While at my local everything store this week to purchase their bulk toiletries, I couldn't resist a stroll down their art supplies aisle, and noticed they had a pen by Pentel that I haven't tried before, the Pentel Stylo, advertising itself as a sketching pen. It's got a "unique" triangular nib made of hard foam or something, which I guess is supposed to act kind of like a traditional metal "crow quill" nib, letting you vary the width of your line with hand pressure. I like Pentel's "Pocket Brush" brush pen, and the Stylo was only about $3, so I let curiosity get the better of me picked it up. ("Stylo," incidentally, is French for "pen." Clever, non? :"P)

The Stylo has a nice chunky body in a dark wine color, rather similar to Rotring's Tikky Graphic pens if maybe feeling not as substantial or precisely machined. You do get a *little* width variation out of the foamy nib thing, but not much--not nearly as much as you'd get out of a flexible metal nib, and only a bit more than you get out of, say, a 0.5 Tikky Graphic, and with not as generous a flow of ink, although it isn't too bad in that respect. The ink *is* darker than the Tikky Graphic, but not waterproof, I don't think (I didn't test it, but it isn't advertised as such).

The foamy nib produces a sort of nails on chalkboard feeling of drag against the paper that is not pleasant, and also feels somewhat imprecise. If you can get over the shudderific foam rubbing feel, you can doodle okay with it, but for my money I'd spend the extra 50 cents and have myself a Tikky instead. But it was fun to try a new pen, anyway! Here's the test sheet I made with it in my notebook: top half is the Stylo, with two sizes of Tikky Graphic below that, and a Pocket Brush doodle at the bottom:

I might get up to streaming some more Pocket Brush doodling this weekend, we'll see! No Stylo doodling, though--it's joining so many others in my art supply cupboard of shame. : o

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Sayonara, Monday! I'm going to bed to I can skip ahead to Tuesday. : P

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
A*'s been named a finalist for "Best Sci-Fi Comic" in the Drunk Duck Awards 2015; DD is a webcomic collective site, and I upload A* over there each day. Thanks to whoever nominated A*! : )

There's an interesting article on the BBC about how the universe is fading; specifically, a new study has refined our estimates as to how fast the energy output of the visible universe is declining: "star formation peaked a few billion years ago and has been declining since"; "when the team totted up the total energy output of galaxies at three different ages, they saw a steady slump"; "from 2.25 billion years ago to 0.75 billion years ago, the Universe's output apparently fell by about 40%." So when your kids get uppity, you can tell 'em that the universe is less lively now than when *you* were their age. : P

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 am

Titus - "They actually reprogrammed *my* program in machine language? Who could do that?"

Selenis - "I don't know..."

{...mother could...}

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:26 am

Heehee! Ohhh mother!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:54 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Just one more page to go in episode 26! Then episode 27 will start on Friday! I've just ordered a different kind of brush to try out! Man!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
That's the end of episode 26! If you'd been hoping Selenis was going to get into a fight with someone on that stolen ship, tune in for episode 27--starting tomorrow!--in which *a* Selenis will get into quite a melee when a corporation gets a little too close to home! What do I mean by "a" Selenis? Have I said too much? : o Find out next episode!

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6