comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
A* Episode 28 

Discussion thread for A* episode 28, starting today!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Added 2 new A* pages:
And we're off on a new episode!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Her outfit was gonna be dark--like a black leather ensemble, you know--but the white was working really well here, so eh well yeah! (Just a coincidence that today I was listening to a podcast interview with Declan Shalvey, the artist--along with colorist Jordie Bellaire--behind that recent super-bright-white-costume Moon Knight reboot for Marvel Comics? : o)

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:40 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I made the mistake of looking at Twitter today--a mistake because NASA just tweeted a bunch of really interesting new articles that I now have to take time to tell you about!

- NASA's Fermi Space Telescope Sharpens its High-energy Vision - By reprocessing data from all gamma ray readings taken by the Fermi telescope since 2008, using updated know-how, NASA has been able to put together a much more precise map of the gamma ray sources coming to us from space. It's a pretty cool picture, and they highlight some sources (not A*, though!); there's also a video illustration of how they think most of these gamma rays, coming from supernova remnants, active supermassive black holes in other galaxies, and so forth, are created: a very high-energy electron, moving near light speed, collides with a low-energy photon; this slows the electron slightly, with some of that lost energy transferring to the photon, boosting it into the gamma range.

- NASA's Great Observatories Weigh Massive Young Galaxy Cluster - Using a combination of readings from various powerful telescopes, NASA has determined that a very large galactic cluster, 10 billion light years away--which means the light from it took so long to reach us that we're seeing it when it and the universe were still young--has the mass of about 500 trillion Suns--which is a lot! Studying this early massive structure will help scientists refine their ideas of how the universe has evolved.

- 'X' Marks a Curious Corner on Pluto's Icy Plains - Nifty high-res photos of relatively flat plains on Pluto show that they're actually active! Their surface is broken up into polygonal shapes some 10 to 25 miles across; scientists think these are huge chunks of solid, frozen nitrogen: warmed very slightly beneath the icy surface--miles down, in some cases--by Pluto's faint interior heat, a warmed nitrogen chunk rises, slowly lurching to the surface, where it will eventually cool and sink, a cycle NASA likens to a giant lava lamp.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:34 pm

A Question BC...

I've followed your web comic for some time now.. and have no intention of stopping.. love your art AND your story; but that brings up a question that's kinda been nagging me for sometime.

For a long time now.. I've read your comic and enjoyed your art work.. ever so often.. you would post a piece that I found particularly compelling... so I'd 'right-click' and 'Save As' the print and store it away. I have a ...substantial collection of your art.

The Question{s}... recently something has changed in the posting format of your web-comic page and now.. 'right-click', 'save-as'... rarely works... sometimes it still does. I know you support your art with donations and don't want your talent being wasted or just squandered "for free". But I am also .. a poor art lover making with my job not much at all.. barely enough to keep myself on the internet and able to pay my bills... sadly.

So my question{s} are... Is this change in how you host your web pages intentional to keep people from just copying and saving your posted art? And would you prefer I NOT save as pages you post of your web comic?

I would NEVER try to sell them to someone else.. as that would be highly dishonorable and cheat you.. an artist I very much admire, but understand the right of an artist to charge for his work.

To note your answer will NOT change my enjoyment of your web comic.. and if you ask me not to copy your pages.. I will respectfully comply with your wishes.

Thanks, Roger.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:08 am

sunphoenix wrote:
A Question BC...

I've followed your web comic for some time now.. and have no intention of stopping.. love your art AND your story; but that brings up a question that's kinda been nagging me for sometime.

For a long time now.. I've read your comic and enjoyed your art work.. ever so often.. you would post a piece that I found particularly compelling... so I'd 'right-click' and 'Save As' the print and store it away. I have a ...substantial collection of your art.

The Question{s}... recently something has changed in the posting format of your web-comic page and now.. 'right-click', 'save-as'... rarely works... sometimes it still does. I know you support your art with donations and don't want your talent being wasted or just squandered "for free". But I am also .. a poor art lover making with my job not much at all.. barely enough to keep myself on the internet and able to pay my bills... sadly.

So my question{s} are... Is this change in how you host your web pages intentional to keep people from just copying and saving your posted art? And would you prefer I NOT save as pages you post of your web comic?

I would NEVER try to sell them to someone else.. as that would be highly dishonorable and cheat you.. an artist I very much admire, but understand the right of an artist to charge for his work.

To note your answer will NOT change my enjoyment of your web comic.. and if you ask me not to copy your pages.. I will respectfully comply with your wishes.

Thanks, Roger.

Oh, no, that was just a side-effect of making it possible to navigate the comic by clicking on the left or right side of the comic image--there's now an invisible clickable image overlaid on top of each side of the comic image that intercepts clicks, so that does block you from being able to right-click the comic image itself. The one place you *can* click on the comic image is on the right side of the very latest page, because there's no later page to navigate forward to, so no invisible clickable overlay blocking that side of the image.

This actually does inconvenience me once in a while too : p, and generally what I do is note the page number of the page I want to view, then copy the URL the latest comic image, and edit the URL of the latest comic image to the one I want.

For instance, say the latest page is this new one, 28:4, but I want to get 27:101. So I go the latest page (28:4), copy the comic image URL by right-clicking on the RIGHT side of the image (this might be something like right click -> "Copy Image Location"; you can also do right click -> "View Image" and then copy the URL from the browser's address bar), which gives me this (I'm viewing the image in the large 1080p screen version in this example):
Code:
http://smbhax.com/ep/0028/g/0004.jpg

and then I put that into the address bar and edit it to the episode and page numbers of the image I want:
Code:
http://smbhax.com/ep/0027/g/0101.jpg

hit ENTER and up comes the image!

You can also just view the whole directory of images, for instance the large episode 28 images are all in http://smbhax.com/ep/0028/g/

If you're just after the regular-sized images, you substitute a "/d/" for the "/g/" in the address... Oh I suppose for those you can also click the "print" link at the lower left corner of the comic, and on the print purchasing page, the identical image of the page there is fully clickable. Hm that's handy, I'll have to remember that. : D

Another thing you can do in Firefox specifically, and I use this myself on other sites sometimes when they have those fancy layouts that have interactive overlays over the images I want, is to right-click on a blank part of the page, select "View Page Info," click the "Media" button at the top of the window that appears, then go down the list of media files until you find the image you want, at which point you can copy its URL or click the "Save As..." button.

And in dire cases you can always just take a screen shot! ^_^

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Last chance to get 50% off of my original A* art: the Supermassive Holiday Sale ends this weekend! Yes, the original paintings and illustrations you can get through this web site--look for the gold "original art" link at the lower left corner of the comic images--are only $25, but only through this Sunday. And then the holidays will officially be over! >_>

Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:08 am

You're ALL Heart BC! Thanks a bunch! I'll see to it I find a way to buy some of your art! :)

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:22 am

sunphoenix wrote:
You're ALL Heart BC! Thanks a bunch! I'll see to it I find a way to buy some of your art! :)

^_^

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:22 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Oh boy, an elevator ride! >_> This takes me all the way back to episode 12, page 38; I guess I've just been dying to draw another one since then. This one's a lot more "Earth-normal," but hey, it's still an elevator, wheeeeee. I guess it's sort of like my obsession with doors and doorways and entrances (just look, you can hardly get through a page without seeing one), only it also moves up and down, so that's extra cool?

~~~~~~~~

Had a bit of an adventure when my computer's graphic card fizzled out over the weekend, so I didn't quite get to all the A* odds and ends I wanted to then, but now I've got a shiny new one installed (my computer isn't old enough that they don't make compatible cards anymore (it's a PCI Express 2.0 card bus), but it *is* old enough that even the cheapest card I could find is like miles better than my old one ever was--my old one didn't even have an HDMI-out : p and couldn't do 1080p over both of its other video outs at the same time : pp), so we're back in business. : )

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next