comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
A* Episode 30 

Added 1 new A* page:
Well things work in funny ways sometimes. You may remember how, when we first saw Selenis in this little black '20s-era dress at the beginning of this party scene a few weeks ago, I linked to a small photo of a young woman from that time in a similar dress--at least, the anonymous image I found through a Google image search had *seemed* of about that time--which had helped inspire Selenis' costume.

Now, I've been catching bits of episodes of the 1960s Western TV show The Big Valley on MeTV once in a while at the gym (something to tread mills by, you know), and its opening credits end with a special call out to the dignified, white-haired matriarch of the show's central family, the Barkleys, saying "And Starring MISS BARBARA STANWYCK..."

So eventually I got to wondering about the actress who was getting that special billing, and looking her up on Wikipedia one day when I got home last week, what did I find when scrolling down the page but a much higher quality version of that very same 1920s photo of a young woman in a small, shimmering black dress! And Wikipedia says it's public domain so I can post it here : ) :

It was Barbara Stanwyck! That I had unknowingly posted a photo of! Forty years before "The Big Valley"! Photographed by Alfred Cheney Johnston, famed for his photos of Ziegfeld girls, in about 1924, the future "MISS BARBARA STANWYCK," star of Hollywood, eventual stateswoman of The Big Valley's wealthy Barkley clan, was here still a relative unknown, a year into her three-year stint in the Ziegfeld Follies "theatrical revue."

So that was a nice little mystery to solve more or less accidentally and through tremendous coincidence, if you believe in such things. : )

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I'm still working away at my little project of reading through all the comics in Marvel's online "Marvel Unlimited" service chronologically, starting at their beginning in 1939--with Marvel Comics #1!--up through oh 1990 or so. They've got about 4,500 comics online between those date ranges, so this will keep me busy for a while, especially considering that usually I manage to flit through just one or two a day, tops. But I'm up to May, 1963! 323 comics down! : D Of course they also scan more old issues into their archives every week, so I guess some weeks I actually lose ground in terms of how many comics are left to get through in this quest.

Anyway I bothered you with that boring story because in the comics from the '40s, I was noticing that characters, instead of saying "what's going on here" when they came across an odd situation--which happens frequently in these comics, you know--would say what Vincent says in today's A* comic: "What goes on here?"--or some variant, like "What goes?" or "What goes on?" or maybe "what transpires here?" or, well, other permutations I can't remember right now, but definitely NOT "what's going on here," as we modern, upright-walking humans of today would put it.

And then as I progressed in my reading through their comics of the '40s and into the '50s, it was interesting to see how the phrase gradually did start to inch its way toward the modern version, until by the late '50s or so I stopped noticing the difference, which I think means someone must have hit upon "what's going on here" by then.

And that's how modern speech came to be. ]_]

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:30 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Back to Wednesday sales from the A* art archive! This week's sale, now up for auction on eBay at a special sale price, is the original watercolor painting behind episode 29, page 35, in which our heroine was alerted to something amiss in a high mountain pass by small rocks suddenly falling just beside her:

Was it an avalanche...or something even more bizarre? : o Find out...by skipping back to episode 29! : D Anyway thanks for looking at my art, you can keep up on my daily and weekly and other art sales by following my eBay profile.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 am

Added 1 new A* page:
This blue moonlit room effect I settled on a few pages back is sort of trickier than I'd counted on. : P And really I think I'm starting to feel that pages work better when I avoid large areas of fully saturated color. So! More stuff to work on. : )

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:37 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I didn't know what to do with myself for a while late this afternoon after @Vierdz (artist for the webcomic Overworld) pointed out to me that the newfangled @Alt_NASA Twitter account (such is the time in which we live) is using a familiar face in their header image:

Yep, that's cool space gaze of Selenis from episode 26, page 8. : ooo ... 8-oooo

Anyway I thought that was pretty cool. ^_^)_^

~~~~~~~~~

Today's bonus A* trivia!:
Remember, if anything's bothering you, you can just tell it to Sweeney.

(Oh and by the way you can always hit me up on Twitter @smbhax. : )

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 am

Added 1 new A* page:
As a youngster I was told that my country was "the land of the free and the home of the brave," "with liberty and justice for all," the country that asks the world to "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"--and that's the country in which I'll always believe! : )

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
If you like this comic, please consider supporting it through my Patreon campaign! ^_^ Even just $1 a month from you--it's easy and automatic--makes a big difference to me! ... Anyhoo, here's a sketch I got to send to a reader for their support (people contributing $10 or more a month get original art from me each and every month! Just try to find a better bargain than that on Patreon ^_^): D :

Thank youuuuuuu!!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:09 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
It's Wednesday and I'm pulling out one of my favorite remaining original A* watercolor paintings from the archives to put on sale, right now, right here on eBay: it's the painting for episode 29, page 75, where Selenis, seemingly at the robo-dragon's mercy at the base of the castle wall in the desert, threw a bag of explosive arrowheads into the ro-beast's roasting jaws!

The auction ends in a week--thanks for checking it out! : ) And if you want to stay abreast of my various art sales, you can follow them all through my eBay profile.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Thanks to all of the 47 folks who are helping me make this comic by supporting it through my Patreon campaign! Here's a sketch I got to send to one of them:

Thank you very much! ^_^

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I sent to a reader for the support they've given the comic through my Patreon campaign:

It makes a really big difference! Thanks everyone for your support! : )

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next