comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
A* Episode 29 

Discussion thread for A* episode 29, which starts imminently!

Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Added 2 new A* pages:
Here we go with episode 29! This one may get a little weird. (Have I said that in previous episodes? : o) Like, probably starting with the very next page, I suspect.

I got episode 28 all bundled up into an e-book, which you can pick up for a song (or however much you feel like) on the episodes & e-books page. Those folks contributing to my Patreon campaign at the e-book reward level or higher will be getting their free download link emailed to them next weekend!

Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I sent to a reader as their monthly reward for supporting the comic through the A* Patreon campaign! The support I get from readers through Patreon is the main thing that helps me keep A* going, so I super-appreciate everyone who's tossing a few of their hard-earned shells and marbles my way each month through Patreon's handy-dandy automated system! And I bet the other readers appreciate them too! ^_^ A* for everyone, woo! Oh yeah, here's the sketch I mailed to them:

Thank youuuuu! Now, if you'd like to get some cool rewards like sketches or e-books sent directly from me to you each month, or you just want to help me make this comic (and boy could I use the help!), think about signing up for the Patreon campaign! It's relatively painless! : D

Tue May 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here are a couple character design sketches I did yesterday before settling down to draw that certain new character who appeared:

Probably the closest I've come to doing a proper character design sheet or something. : P There were other sketches just before these but eh they were much worse.

Readers with freakishly obsessive recall may see a resemblance with the "Earth Boy" dolls encountered around episode 17, page 60; that, I assure you, is mere coincidence--or more specifically, the result of me being bad at this sort of thing and just drawing things in the apparently very few ways I like to draw things. : P Anyway, the character in this episode has a few specific physical traits differing from those suggested by the Earth Boys (in addition to not being a stuffed doll, I mean : P), and why he has those we will learn in oh about two more pages!

Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Seems like tangible space news has been kind of slow lately! Or is this just when the killer space robots are sneaking up on us? : o

Thu May 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Some nice readers are keeping A* going by supporting the comic each month through the A* Patreon campaign, and I return I get to send them little rewards each month, like this sketch I mailed off to a reader a little while back (and the hot new episode 28 e-books I'll be mailing out this weekend):

I think I was testing out some wardrobe and styling possibilities for Selenis there--or maybe some fresh new dance moves??

Sat May 07, 2016 12:32 am

Added 1 new A* page:
What might be the most A* element? I have one that I hope to blog about onnn let's say Wednesday or so. What's *your* pick?

Mon May 09, 2016 9:22 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I sent to a reader as their monthly reward for keeping this little comic going by supporting it through my Patreon campaign; Patreon makes it easy to keep your favorite creators at work by automatically sending them a little funding every month; even just a buck makes a big difference! : D -- but oh yeah the sketch!:

Thank you!!

Tue May 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
It occurred to me the other day that there's one chemical element that shares a name with an important figure in A*, and that is element 34, selenium! Both A*'s character Selenis and the element selenium get their name from selene, the Greek word for "Moon" (and the Greek goddess of the Moon); selenium's name came about because one of its discoverers in 1817, Swedish chemist Jöns Jacob Berzelius (considered one of the four founders of modern chemistry!--and discoverer of three other elements, with yet two more discovered by students in his lab; on the other hand, for a while he denied that chlorine was an element : o; he also originated the term "polymer," among others), noticed it was similar to tellurium, whose name comes from tellus, the Latin word for "Earth."

Selenium is also similar to sulfur, occurs in coal, and "is produced as a byproduct in the refining" of metal sulfide ores. Selenium is relatively rare, and although it has some interesting properties--in the 1870s for instance it was noticed that selenium "transmits an electric current proportional to the amount of light falling on its surface," which means it can be used as a light sensor, and was used by Alexander Graham Bell in his photophone in 1880, receiving a speech-encoded beam of light--it has gradually been replaced in most industrial and electronic roles by less expensive elements. It is still used in alloys, flexible solar cells, DC surge protectors, and photographic print toner, among other things. It is even in some anti-dandruff shampoos: selenium sulfide kills a scalp fungus.

Selenium is also an important nutrient: it plays roles in several antioxidants, in thyroid function, and in several rare amino acids. You don't need much of it--just about 55 micrograms a day (a microgram being one one-thousandth of a milligram!), and you probably only have about 13-20 milligrams in your body, total. Natural sources of selenium in our food are nuts, cereals, and mushrooms, with Brazil nuts having the highest concentration! Taking too much selenium (400 micrograms per day or more), though, can lead to selenosis, characterized by garlic-smelling breath, and, as selenium concentration increases, basically everything else going wrong with your body until you die.

Speaking of selenium and smells, remember that it is chemically similar to sulfur, which is responsible for our sweat smelling--so be sure to catch the chemists of the University of Nottingham telling us in their edifying and informative episode Selenium - Periodic Table of Videos why it is said that "people get off the bus when selenium chemists get on."

So that's selenium for you! Rare, deadly, good for hair, potentially smelly.

Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Readers are helping me keep working on A* by pitching in automatically each month through my Patreon campaign--it's a huge help! Thanks to everyone who's joined the campaign! : D

Here's a watercolor sketch I made for a reader as their monthly reward for their help through Patreon : D :

Thank you!!

Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next