comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
A* Episode 31 

Added 1 new A* page:
Sketch for a reader who's supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign : ) :

Thanks to everyone who's helping me keep A* going through Patreon, I really appreciate it! : D

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
If you're one of those awesome folks who's in the habit of buying my original A* page & other art from my eBay listings (the watercolor paintings behind the most recent week's worth of pages are always for sale there, for instance), please note that starting *next week*, the default initial bid price for my new art listings will be $14.99. That means that the auctions going up *this week* are your last chance to get my stuff at the current initial bidding price of $12.99, so keep that in mind if you'd like to save those couple of bucks!

Had to raise the price because, looking back over the little columns of incomes and expenses I tabulated recently for doing my taxes, I realized that last year, even though I sold lots of A* artwork to wonderful people : D through eBay, I only just barely broke even on it once art and shipping supply costs were factored in--which is nice and all, but it doesn't help pay the rent : o. So if I want to keep a roof over my head it looks like I need to set a higher starting price. Of course, $14.99 is still superhighway robbery as far as a watercolor illustration goes : D but it may reassure you to know that my eventual target goal is an astronomical $24.99 starting bid price--I just don't want to scare everyone off by jumping to that right away, so we'll do it in a series of incremental steps over the course of this year, um, just to be sure to annoy everyone. : o Anyway for now it will be $14.99 which hopefully isn't too catastrophic a figure for my generous A* art collectors to bear! And a hearty thanks to everyone who *has* bid on my artwork--or even purchased it directly through smbhax.com, where you can buy pretty much all of my art that *isn't* for sale on eBay--it *is* a big help in keeping up with expenses, and I couldn't still be making this comic without you! And I will keep working hard each day to get better at drawing and painting so that you will still maybe be tempted to buy one of my pieces now and then, even if the initial bid price does have to go up a little bit. : o

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Well I got this page done, by hook and then a good deal of crook. Fortunately we're about to bust out into another action sequence so I won't have to do another close-up for a bit probably, whew!

Here's some fun I discovered while double-checking the description I put in the auction for the original art behind today's page: if you image google "access tunnel" you get a whole bunch of cool-looking, sci-fi style images that are actually mostly real places (not counting sets of various Starships Enterprise, I mean :"p).

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I've got a bunch of A* original art to pack up for shipping off to several continents tomorrow, so no archive art sale today! Thanks everyone for buying my stuff. : )

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Page done, whew! = p

Also I changed the Patreon blurb in a box (^ above the news on the front page) from orange to a sort of light mauve, which is more in the A* color scheme. : P

And then I removed the box from around the blurb. : p

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
The A* Patreon campaign is a great way to support the comic, for as little as $1 a month! It makes a huge difference and I really appreciate everyone who's helping me out over there. : ) Here's a sketch I sent to a reader for their support:

Thanks again! ": D

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Worked on the lighting for my drawing table today--gotta make it comfy for the peepers! I had too many lumens. O_O Finally realized I was subconsciously squinting to keep some of the light out. : P

Mon May 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I think I was exactly wrong yesterday--looks like I might need *more* light on my drawing table, not less. x_x We'll try that tomorrow. : P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spent two hours on the phone with UPS today, trying to rescue my resupply of A* art shipping boxes from the computerized limbo into which it was cast thanks to their web app giving me a delivery option that was--for reasons still not clear to the humans there--not valid actually for the package. What's kind of funny is:

a) There's no option given in their computerized customer service line to talk to a human. But it's there--you just have to get mad enough finally to growl "give me an operator" and it says oh okay you could talk to an agent, but first how about I repeat the same options you tried and found useless before, and you grit your teeth through that and then growl "get me an agent" and then it finally transfers you to a live person and there isn't even that much of a wait since they're so good at not letting you know about that option in the first place.

b) The people you do eventually get to talk to seem to have no recourse to any human-powered solution ("Human shall not speak to human"): if it isn't solvable through their software (and for the most part they're just using the same, triple-redundancy web interface on their site that you are), then, um, well, it should clear up soon. "Just keep refreshing the page."

c) The last human (I think) was maybe so lonely he was stuck in a loop:

Agent: So we have two departments here: Customer Service [which I had talked to at length two transfers ago] is more on the package level; I just go through the My Choice interface [ie the same web page I was trying to use at home and which was giving an error message they couldn't do anything about].

Me: Okay?

Agent: Your phone was cutting out again.

Me: No, no I can hear you.

Agent: Oh, okay.

Me: Soooo it sounds like we have no options here.

Agent: Well we have two departments here...

~~~~~~~~

Maybe he isn't permitted to tell a customer that he can't help them, which left him no way to end the call. :"P

So unless the jammed delivery instruction clears up overnight (I was told it should clear up after a half hour, an hour, then two hours--fortunately I was able to disprove all those since I was stuck in repetitive fruitless discussions for so long), my only hope is the human factor, namely that the actual delivery driver gets fed up and just drops the thing at one of the two locations the computer now thinks it should not go to.

(Following that hopeful logic, once they move to delivery drones I'll just be totally hosed. : P)

Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Wednesday original art archive auction sale! : D This is the *last* big 17"x11" ink wash piece from the first A* episode I did using traditional methods--episode 13, page 157 to be exact--that I'm going to put up for auction; it is up on eBay right now for a week, starting at a low sale price. : )

It's also one of the best likenesses I think I've ever managed--and this is one I did way back in 2011. : o o :

There are higher resolution images in the auction listing. : D And if you'd like to stay up on these original art sales of mine, you can follow my eBay profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~

At the time I made the page, I even happened to take a photo midway through the inking: I did the black areas, adding water to some in the background to sort of gradient them a bit, and after this it would be going in with prepared gray washes to model the figures:

So going dark to light, which is the opposite of how you sort of mostly have to do watercolors like I'm working with now. I do like how I only outlined select parts of the bodyguard figure in black, though, leaving other edges open for a sort of metal shiny effect--and edges on Selenis were left open to be defined by the gray hallway gradients. I need to remember that when I feel rushed and want to just outline all the pencil lines real fast. : P (Also trying to manage my time better so I have *more* time at the drawing table and don't have to feel rushed! Doing better at that over these past few weeks, still room for improvement though. : D)

Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Three hours with a pencil today and I still couldn't manage more than one eye per face. -_; Although that *is* still three eyes, which is probably slightly above average for me. : D

Anyway in the painting phase (only and hour and a half! : ) I did manage to try one thing I've been wanting to since I sort of muddled onto it in the last re-paint of page 23, namely that it seems to go better if I paint the lips in first with a light-ish color, then go in and put a darker shade just under the top and bottom lip. Probably shouldn't have taken years to work that one out! ^_^

Thu May 04, 2017 10:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next