comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
A* Episode 32 

Added 1 new A* page:
Trying to work out how to do "wetter" watercolor painting. : P Hopefully things will get a little messy but I keep getting too scared so maybe they won't. : o

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
That's it for me! G'night! : )

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Wednesday A* original art archive sale! This week's lucky piece is the 16" x 6.75" watercolor illustration I made for A* episode 31, page 84, which finds Selenis reading some hot info off a mobile device she just swiped from a rather disgruntled gentleman. You've got three count 'em three faces, each showing a different emotion, with a pleased Selenis up front, bathed in the tiny screen's glow. This painting is on eBay for one week now, starting at just $18.99!

The auction listing has high-res images; my blog is only big enough for these tiny previews:

This page I think is one of my more successful attempts at layering the watercolors: heavy red with heavy blue on top built up an intense background, leaving bright blue and red highlights dancing around the figures; and the hair of the central female figure came out in a kinda neat duotone with a swirly purple splashed on over a lighter blue.

I hope someone likes it enough to take it home! = ) I've got other pieces on sale on eBay too--the latest week's A* pages are there; for instance, the painting behind today's new page is up for auction right here. Yep!

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I think I am gradually figuring out what type of coloring I like with watercolors--by process of elimination. ; )

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I'm not quite making a living at making A*, but I'm getting there, thanks in large part to readers helping me out through the A* Patreon campaign! As little as $1 a month means a lot to me, and if you splurge on a higher level of support you can even get unique monthly A* rewards; for instance, here's a sketch I got to send to a reader for their support:

Thank you very much for keeping me at work on A*! : D

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Trying to work on boiling the page layouts down to strong elements. We'll see how long I can keep this up. : ) Action scenes probably help, I suppose!

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I just discovered that shiny bar tops are really fun to paint. : D

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Wednesday original A* art archive sale! This is where I pick out what I think is a particularly nifty page of original artwork from the A* archives and put it up for auction at a bargain price! And this week we're doing the 16" x 6.75" watercolor illustration I made for page 31:16, catching Selenis in a dimly lit alley in the lower sub-levels of the artificial world known as The Pearl, where she is busy applying some leverage to the back of a security patrolman's knee. : ) It's up for auction for the next week on eBay!

Here are tiny preview versions of the high-res images of the page that you'll find included in the auction listing:

This particular page is one of my most successful applications of colored line work, I think. Should I do more of that, or try to form forms without lines, which can potentially look more natural but also easily goes kinda blobby? Maybe going for form, then applying line where necessary for further delineation would be the wise route? Or do the particular demands of each image require different approaches? Well if I could answer these questions I wouldn't have to agonize over each new day's page, and then where would I go for drama in my life?

... Anyway, thanks for checking out my artwork! : D (You'll find other attractively priced A* artwork under my eBay handle while you're over there, including the last week's worth of new page paintings!)

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
The recent BBC article The Women Who Sew for NASA talks about the female technicians who dominate NASA's cabling and thermal blanketing teams; that golden foil you often see covering sensitive space probe components, for instance, is stitched together from "over 20 individual layers - some just 1/1000th of an inch thick," then hand-sewn into place on the spacecraft.

The article also points to several examples of similarly skilled female technicians who made earlier, crucial leaps in NASA's space exploration possible:

- the custom spacecraft program hardware of the Apollo spacecraft was woven together by a team nick-named the "little old ladies": "many of them were in fact young women, threading copper wires through tiny magnetic loops to create the individual ones and zeros of programme code."

- "the seamstresses of lingerie brand Playtex pioneered new sewing techniques to create the Apollo spacesuits. Working to unprecedented levels of precision, and often late into the night, their innovations made human spaceflight possible."

... I really need to learn to sew one of these days.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Patreon is a great way to support your favorite artists, and I even get to send folks supporting the comic through the A* Patreon campaign unique A* rewards each month, like this sketch I mailed off to one reader for their support:

Thank you very much! : )

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next