comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

pro: colors, elite background; con: nose 

I like the colors, or lack of. It's more appropriate to a space opera than any other webcomic I know. Also, the "ELITE" background is pretty cool.
But I don't like the nose. You know which one. Not very sensible. It looks like something out of a nazi cartoon about jews. Maybe you could Mar have a rhinoplasty. And have our hero grow some hair, it doesn't make things better that he's factually a skinhead. Ah, I guess I'm overreacting now. BB

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:14 pm

The lack of color is more involving, I think. By that it invites something of an investment from yourself. Sort of like back in the days of listening to the radio and imagining everything that was going on. It was fuel for the creative mind to ignite. Also, you're right about the space opera part- the subject begs for minimal, hard edges and positive/negative spaces.
(Page 2 has so many rich details [WOW!] it would almost be a crime to introduce color there.)
If color ever comes into this story, I hope it will only be in sepia tones.

The nose I don't mind.
It is either a caricature that more closely illustrates his true persona, or possibly he is one of those creatures that simply has a large nose, since he doesn't have to be human at all.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:44 pm

Yeah, that nose! I've brought this issue up myself in the past; I did consider reinventing Mar and Proctor with more realistic proportions, since I have been moving to a more realistic style overall, but I think that might be pretty confusing. Besides which, even their personalities are somewhat cartoonish.

So I think what I'm going to do instead is just let the story work through them and move on, as it has with Vero, whose bald and relatively featureless design also began to be a problem under the more realistic style. We're done with Vero now, and Mar and Proctor will figure heavily in episode 11, because I've still got something to take care of with Mar's little project, but that will be pretty much wrapped up by the end of the episode, after which there shouldn't be a pressing need to revisit them--after all, there are many other corporations and groups and characters in the A* world that I want to get to.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm

I suppose one up-side to their cartoonish appearances at this point is that they're relatively easy to draw; I'm hoping to be able to get closer to 3 pages per day during their segments, so maybe we'll have all this behind us in relatively short order. ;) But I have been known to be optimistic about how quickly I can work >_>, so we'll just have to see.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 pm