comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Oh, herro! 

First, ♥

Second, have you considered uploading your art in PNG form? Particularly in the large-size mode, the area around the text gets especially fuzzy and it looks kinda gross. I still love every single piece, but still.

Third, how much of a process is it to create the actual art itself once you have an idea and draft? Reason I ask is because I absolutely love the old art, but I also absolutely love the new art. It would be heaven to be able to see both (though, if I had to choose it would totally be the current).

Fourth, have you considered printing a book or making more shirts? I, for one, would love to have either.

Fifth, ♥

Sixth, this may be edited as I think of things.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

1) :DDD

2) The pages up until the hand-painted ones are in .png format; once I went hand-painted, all the painty and papery texture make .png prohibitively large in terms of image download size. The fuzzy text though is actually not so much due to the lossy nature of .jpgs (I output at a pretty un-lossy setting in fact) but rather to my using such an ancient version of Photoshop that the text is in bitmap rather than vector form--so when I scale the artwork down from its 1200 dpi working size to the much smaller web size, the text gets a little fuzzy, and applying "sharpen" to it as I do to the scanned artwork would just make it uglier rather than easier to read, unfortunately. I've convinced myself I kind of like the smoothness of the fuzzed text, but that is probably just so it doesn't keep me up at night. >_>

The solution would be to work in any non-stone-age version of Photoshop, where the text would be stored in vector form and thus scale down without fuzzing, but...I don't like to work in the newer version of Photoshop that I do have, and anyway it is so much more memory-intensive that trying to work with 1200 dpi images in it really kills my computer (yeah I should get more RAM, eh--I still don't like new Photoshops :ppp).

So the short version of that litany of excuses is that it's a technical issue with the way I work that I'm unwilling to change because I'm a stubborn old jerk. Sorry about that!! I hope it isn't too eye-burning.

3) Well that would be interesting wouldn't it? I have to think digital vs traditional versions would be vastly different from each other, because the way you can sort of noodle around experimenting with even things as basic as the page layout differs vastly between the two--so even the compositions would be different, not to mention the texturing, line type, shading, detail, etc.

But I stopped working digitally primarily because it was getting uncomfortable, ergonomically, so I don't really want to go back to doing that. And anyway--to answer the main question--it takes me pretty much all day to make a page either way (yeah I'm slow :|), so if I did both I could really only generate one page every two days, which would be way too slow story-wise, I think.

4) I have not really considered a book because it seems hard to make money with them, at least unless you spend a lot of time selling them at conventions and things, and even that is financially risky due to the costs involved--and anyway that would take a lot of time away from actually making the strip, also because actually putting the book together would take no inconsiderable amount of time...oh and up to this point my artwork resolution and so on has differed quite a bit, which would end up looking weird in a book, I think. So basically I don't think I'll think about a book until maybe: a) I have hundreds of people definitely asking me for one, b) I have a publisher who would handle most of the book putting-together and marketing for me, and c) I have enough artwork and story in the current hand-painted method to warrant one.

Even then I am sort of against thinking about books because I think that would start to tempt me to format the comic in ways that would be more suited to book form than to viewing on the internet, and I don't want that to happen because I think webcomics should be formatted primarily for the web, darn it. That is really just stubborn old fool voices inside my head talking though.

I should make other T-shirt designs but I have been kind of baffled as to what to do for them; initially I had some designs with actual artwork in them--rather than just the logo T up there now--but then I became unsure as to what artwork people would actually want to wear. So I don't know! If you have any particular "I want this A* artwork on me" thoughts, I would be interested to hear them, because yeah at some point anyway I should probably try something more elaborate in the way of T-shirt designs.

5) =DDD

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I have settled on a very slight sharpening of the subtitle text now, so hopefully it is a little easier to read, particularly in the large size.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:56 pm