comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

A Couple Reasons Why A* is Awesome and Stands Apart 

A* is easily one of my, if not my absolute, favorite webcomic. I love the art and the story! I especially appreciate the black and white in combination with the heavy contrast. Wonderful! And I really love the blogs about tools and technique, not to mention the articles about our solar system. I'm always interested in learning something new, so it's great! The comic reminds me of The Ballad of Halo Jones, one of my all time favorite comics. Keep up the great work!

Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

=o Thanks! :) Glad you're enjoying it, and it's always nice to hear from someone who gets something out of the blog articles, which I spend way too much time on but just can't help it. ;)

Also thanks for pointing out The Ballad of Halo Jones! This is the first I've heard of the comic, but from what I can tell by way of the internet, this Alan Moore & Ian Gibson creation does seem to have some intriguing similarities to A*--particularly the notably Selenic heroine! Gibson's account of his side of her creation is a pretty interesting read.

Thu May 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Don't mention it, keep up the good work.

Yeah, it looks like those blogs take up a lot of your time. Can't say I'm complaining though...

Check out Halo Jones. I'm pretty sure you'd love it. I had a hard time getting into it at first, I think becuase it was originally published in the back of 2000AD and so each chapter is only a few pages long. But once you get into it it's impossible to put down. I've been meaning to reread it lately but haven't gotten around to it. I will check out that Gibson article.

Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Yeah, I guess (from Wikipedia) they managed something like 182 pages from 1984-86, and that covered only three of a planned nine "issues."

I will have to add it to my growing "comics to buy when I can afford to buy comics" list! :D And it's far from the only British sci-fi serial strip in that list, come to think of it.

Thu May 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Do you print A* in graphic novel format? If not, you should consider it (although I'm sure you have). I'd love to be able to read it in book format if it's available...and when I can afford to buy more comics! Black and white comics printed through Comixpress are pretty reasonably priced.

Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm

I've never printed any kind of book! It seems scary. :o I suppose I will have to learn how to do it some day, eep!

Tue May 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Yeah, it's kind of intimidating. I'm about to print the first 6 chapters of ATBL through a POD pretty soon. Gotta spend some time this week putting things together and whipping up some bonus material. Hopefully it'll help bring in a few extra bucks in a couple months, and it'll be nice to have a printed book for next year when I start doing cons and stuff.

But at least printing through a POD is a lot less intimidating than a bulk printer. There's a lot less risk involved and virtually no start up fees.

Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, although these days everyone just seems to think they can get people to pay for it for them via Kickstarter.

It's actually the "putting things together" part that gives me the most pause, I think. I suspect that would take me ages.

Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

That's so funny you mention Kickstarter! My collaborator and I were just talking about that site yesterday, and how many people have delusions of obtaining large quantities of cash from strangers. Even though the person is, more often than not, a complete unknown and usually offers lack luster pledge incentives. There are plenty of truly good projects that get posted on there, but well…most aren't. And people should realize what Dave Sim said - "You are not special."

People need to realize that you have to set realistic goals. REALISTIC goals. Not $20,000 for you to quit your job and work on your comic and then print 20,00 copies of it even though nobody really knows who you are. I think Kickstarter is a great site, and I do in fact intend to possibly use it someday to help with some merch funds (if I need the help when the time comes), but for now I am just going to use a POD to print the book. I am not really looking forward to getting it put together, but I've done it before and it's not too bad really. Just time consuming (time which I don’t have, that is).

Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

But mom told me I'm special! ;_;

And yeah, time, darn that slippery substance! Hm in theory it's intrinsically related to space...maybe if I could get a bigger apartment somehow...

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:05 am