comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Preserving aspect ratio in WMM 

Yay, I got it! It is the encoding type: I have to use H.264 rather than MPEG.

YouTube's video formats page lists H.264, MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 as their recommended formats. I came across mention via Google earlier this afternoon that H.264 is actually their native format, although the poster didn't seem all that impressively informed. Flash's help says that H.264 is a particularly low-bandwidth scheme, so I didn't try messing with it earlier, but it seems to be the one YouTube loves. Funny how their video format page doesn't mention that MPEG will come out blurry.

EDIT: Hm, avi seems to come out nice and sharp too, but avis are hUgE.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:25 pm

Okay, so the specs I'm going with are:

(having first used your canvas size adjustment to make it 720x405)

- video: H.264 compression, High quality, 10 fps, 32768 kbps, multi-pass encoding, 1440x810 (letterboxed to keep animation aspect ratio)
- audio: uncompressed format, 44.1 kHz, sample size 16, mono

Episode 1's mov file with those settings came to 57.1 MB.

The high kbps value (I maxed it) doesn't really matter, since YouTube will dumb it down to whatever they use. I just wanted to avoid artifacting before they work on it.

YouTube's player can be distressing at times. I spent a lot of time trying different compression schemes and bit rates to see if I could stop it from choking and sputtering at times, but it ultimately it didn't seem to matter how low a bit rate I set; sometimes YouTube just decides to play things back in a really jerky way. I think it's got something to do with how they cache data; I can get HD videos really confused by switching back and forth between HD and SD, or just jumping forward and back in the video. The one I really love is where the play bar looks fully loaded, and you're right in the middle of it, in play mode, but the video looks like it thinks its supposed to be paused--indefinitely. They've still got some kinks to work out, I guess, but you'd have thought they'd have smoothed out the wrinkles a bit by now--I've been having that kind of problem particularly with HD stuff since they added support for it.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:49 am

BC wrote:
Okay, so the specs I'm going with are:

(having first used your canvas size adjustment to make it 720x405)

- video: H.264 compression, High quality, 10 fps, 32768 kbps, multi-pass encoding, 1440x810 (letterboxed to keep animation aspect ratio)
- audio: uncompressed format, 44.1 kHz, sample size 16, mono

I think that's why it look so choppy on Youtube. Most video files play back at 30 frames per second. Is there a way to adjust that when you output? If not, you might want to use WMM. You'd have to retime your music and VO, though.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:21 am

Huh, it got a lot smoother. YT must not have finished processing it before.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:36 pm

10 fps is actually decently smooth for most of the limited animation I'm doing. So yeah, it's YouTube being itchy (and I'm pretty sure it's more of a caching/player thing rather than processing--if a vid is still processing, it'll show me a green warning banner at the top saying it's still processing and may get better when done, but all mine finished before I posted yesterday). I'm just glad I figured out how to get HD to play smoothly (by dragging the play marker back to start)--but those jerky playback problems happen on plenty of other vids, not just mine.

I did try raising the fps, but Flash is weird about not wanting to let you export at a fps that differs from your Flash's fps--and if you change your Flash's fps, it isn't smart enough to adjust the timing of the thing automatically, so when I upped it to 30 fps in my experiments yesterday, it just played back three times too fast. :ppppp Silly softwares.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Ahah, this is apparently a problem with their new HQ mode, which my video defaults to.

I'm going to update my links so they'll go directly to a forced-at-to-beginning HD mode, which works great.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:59 pm

For anyone interested, the trick is adding &fmt=22 at the end of the URL, which switches it to start in HD at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjADWhW1Nkk&fmt=22

To embed it, for instance, you could use:

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjADWhW1Nkk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjADWhW1Nkk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

^ That's in the "embed" field on the page, as long as you have the "Play in HD" embed parameter box below it checked.

Now, a trick I found in getting this on Blogger, which allows a max width of 400 pixels (below YouTube's smallest of 480), is that you can change the width and height parameters in there (in both of the two spots in which they appear) to whatever 16:9 ratio you like--the trick is adding 25 to the height, to allow room for the play bar. So on the blog for instance I used width="320" height="205" (ie 16 and 9 times 20, then plus 25 to height).

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm

BC wrote:
Yay, I got it! It is the encoding type: I have to use H.264 rather than MPEG.

YouTube's video formats page lists H.264, MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 as their recommended formats. I came across mention via Google earlier this afternoon that H.264 is actually their native format, although the poster didn't seem all that impressively informed. Flash's help says that H.264 is a particularly low-bandwidth scheme, so I didn't try messing with it earlier, but it seems to be the one YouTube loves. Funny how their video format page doesn't mention that MPEG will come out blurry.

EDIT: Hm, avi seems to come out nice and sharp too, but avis are hUgE.

The blurriness I was getting with MPEGs seems to have gone away--at least, it doesn't happen frequently with large MPEG I just tried uploading. I think the problem was their new HQ mode shutting off for some reason. Darn that new HQ mode, darn it to heck. Anyway, the reason I've been exploring MPEGs is because Flash is crashing on me when trying to export episode 2 with sound--it's specifically crashing if I export with sound enabled. Bleh. Whereas MPEG doesn't. I can't see a visual difference between the A* logo in the H.264 episode 1 and the MPEG episode 2 (private test), so I guess I'll stick to MPEGs for now, what with Flash crashing and all. It shouldn't really matter anyway since I'm compressing these at the maximum possible bitrate setting, so even MPEGs have no quality loss, and besides youTube re-encodes everything you send them anyhow; the only real difference *should* be the size of the pre-uploaded files on my hard drive.

I hope this is the last worrying I have to do about trying to figure out weird YouTube player behavior... Anyway, on the plus side, Ep. 2 with sound should be going up on Monday--although probably just here on smbhax.com for the first few days.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:54 am

BC wrote:

Now, a trick I found in getting this on Blogger, which allows a max width of 400 pixels (below YouTube's smallest of 480), is that you can change the width and height parameters in there (in both of the two spots in which they appear) to whatever 16:9 ratio you like--the trick is adding 25 to the height, to allow room for the play bar. So on the blog for instance I used width="320" height="205" (ie 16 and 9 times 20, then plus 25 to height).

Ooh, actually 400x250 fits Blogger perfectly. So for ep 2:

<object width="400" height="250"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/toYySPUrWXc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/toYySPUrWXc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="250"></embed></object>

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:23 am

Flash's video exporter is not very robust! I haven't been able to output in H.264 for the past two episodes because it crashes the application during export; I think it's running out of memory. Even MPEG export was crashing on me at one point last night, in-between spitting out videos with complete audio but completely garbled video.

I could get episode 4 to export at 16:9, 1x1 resolution (720x405), but not at the doubled resolution (1440x810) I'd been using before--that came out looking like a broken Atari 2600 game. I finally tried full 1080p (1920x1080), and that worked--so that's the one I send to YouTube.

Ratzin' fratzin' Flash video exporter!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the other not-so-great thing about Flash's video exporter is that if you have a stop in it for button input, like the Play button A* has now, videos simply hang indefinitely on exporting. >_< So you have to go in and cut out all the buttons before you export. I guess you don't want buttons showing up in the exported video anyway, even for just the one frame they're usually in, but sheesh, it could handle that better than just hanging. :Pppp

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next