comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Story critique from #17 & working backwards [Spoilers] 

Yeah, eventually I'll work out how to make it look darker. I'm also going a bit lighter than I might normally because some of the cross-hatching I was trying with the other pencils was making my wrist and elbow hurt--they seem better now but I'm going to try to ease into the more intense hatching/shading a bit more gradually.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Just a minor comment. I would have loved to see a few more details of the cool space mining cockpit.

Wed May 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Oh, glad you like it! ":) We're close to leaving it now, and I'm not sure we'll come back to it... Cockpits are fun to draw, though, so maybe I'll be able to work something in. : )

Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Ben, I think the faces and bodies are looking better and better since you switched to pencils - especially the hair. You can really do things with her hair with pencils that are improvements over any other medium. But I also think the background details of the rooms have suffered a bit.
This one is one of my favorites of the pencil era:
http://smbhax.com/?e=0019&d=0070
There aren't that many background objects, but the ones that are there are clear and the really dark areas give it a finished feel. Kind of reminds me of the computer graphics era, which had its pros and cons just like the ink and pencil eras.

Here's one I love from the ink era.

http://smbhax.com/?e=0016&d=0032

There is still a lot of ambiguity but those drinks in the background are clear and give a great sense of context.

Just couldn't keep my mouth shut - sorry :)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:18 am

Hah yeah I had a lot of fun drawing those bottles. : D That ink page was an interesting one in a few ways; it occurred to me while planning the scene that I could include a private bar with lots of cool bottles to paint, so I had to get that in ;), and then I had a lot of problem with Titus' head on that page, and repainted it repeatedly until the black and white ink layers piled up into this big bulge on the page, so I had to scrape his face off (: o) and then somehow this really nice face was left underneath what I scraped off, and just took a little touching up to come out as one of the best faces I ever managed in ink! It was kind of a miracle. :D

I think the problem with some of the pencil backgrounds so far is that we've been in some interiors I haven't had very clear in my mind in regards to detail and lighting--the interrogation room in particular wouldn't resolve itself into any kind of detail in my head--and then also I've still been working on how to get and control contrast in pencil, so even some of the more detailed backgrounds, like the cockpit, haven't been able to stand out that much. I feel like I'm gradually getting a handle on the contrast thing, so you should see that improving. I probably won't use that super-dark background type from page 70 all that much, because with pencil I prefer a more dynamic touch I can only seem to get with lighter fill techniques, and also because laying on that much graphite tends to get messy and smudgy, and also less precise around the edges than I would usually like. But I'm still learning a lot of how to handle the pencil, and the wide variety of things it can do, so I guess we'll see! I'm glad that you're catching all these various techniques. :)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:07 am

Love the new shading technique - I think that's what I've been waiting for.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Oh, good. : D Yeah I think it has a future, just gotta get more practice in with it. : )

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Just FYI, I love the color - it makes everything look so much more finished and organized. It's sort of the best of the original black and white computer graphics stuff you started out with combined with the best of the pencil.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks! That's a really interesting way of putting it. It *did* seem to me that the pencil needed something to sort of solidify it and pull it together, and yeah there's that old Lasso Tool sharpness to the digital color that I couldn't manage to get out of pencil by itself.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 pm

hmmm, we're on page 30 and we still don't know what's going on - could it be that Selenis is actually taking a vacation - as a clone or as herself? I'm intrigued ;)

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next