comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Story critique from #17 & working backwards [Spoilers] 

I think I started reading this in the very early chapters, maybe even from the beginning? I'll remember when I work my way back that far. Also am summarizing plot, just to straighten it out for myself as much as anything else.

#17. Maybe it's been so long, what with all these diversions, that I have NO idea whatsoever what this "archive" she's tracking down is, or how it relates to her overall goals. Still not 100% sure what her overall goals even ARE, may have to go back and review some.

#16. Okay, hunt down the guy who welshed on her, and make him pay, in one fashion of another. Hmm. She took the Andiran job to get capital to continue operations, got stiffed for that, then spent more time and resource hunting down this guy. And hasn't been shown making a successful paying job, how was she even able to afford the custom-designed bee, or anything else?

#15. The escape.

#14. Interlude showing us how she doesn't necessarily get along with herself -- and this may metaphorically be a three-way knife fight? Too cryptic, very confusing.

#13 The Andiran Job. How does a guy that nice become the head of such a large corporation? Okay, it shows us that she doesn't let "nice" get in the way of her professionalism. She does the job, regardless. Awful lot of pages spent just to establish that. And then to spend the following TWO chapters just dealing with the immediate aftermath...?

#12 S34 killed immediately after being decanted. Inconvenient recollection of some of her final moments? Her memories either lost or deliberately suppressed (by "Mother"?!). S35 decanted with S33's memories, but perhaps with erasure of some of (or more of) her last thoughts, to avoid same reaction that S34 had. Mother isn't saying.

#11 So, Plank did help her, but where is he now? Okay, had to track back all the way to here to find reference to Archives. 5 episodes, 315 pages, maybe a year and a half real time? Pages aren't date-stamped, hard to gauge, but it feels like it's been a long time. S33 appears to have been deliberately sacrificed

#10 Breaking into the cradle.

Enough for now.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 am

Extremely interesting summary! :) Episode 13 *was* long, yeah--that was back when I had ideas about being able to do two pages a day. Now that I've finally admitted to myself I can only be sure of one a day, I try to keep things more compressed.

About the money question around episode 16, she actually got paid twice, although I didn't make it obvious because I'm a jerk that way! Once for turning "herself" (actually the pilot) in in episode 15, and then she got that nice expensive ship off Thierry in episode 16. Ka-ching!

I'm glad you find the Archive connection! I bet a lot of folks didn't, it was so far back. That was ehh let's seee... (Yeah they aren't date stamped so what I usually do is hunt down the date they were posted on in the episode's forum discussion thread. Ooh but I could also do an archive search for the episode and page numbers, hm)... Mar spills the beans about Earth's Revival and their Archive back on episode 11, page 121, which a news search turns up as having been posted on Jan 20, 2011. And then the Archive comes back up on page 6 of this episode, which was.... July 7th, 2012! So about a year and a half, sheesh.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Thanks for that summary; I'm a relative newcomer and haven't worked my way through all the previous chapters yet. I have been following almost all of 17 though. Love the comic!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:34 am

Xactly wrote:
Thanks for that summary; ... Love the comic!

Same.

I believe the Archive is a source of info she needed to chase down the last of the immortality tech that she's been hunting... and had its origins on earth.. I'm thinking.

Though I must wonder why she needs it as she seems to already have a form of serial immortality? Unless its not Selenis calling the shots...but 'mother'... who may want to be the ONLY source of immortality... such as it is.

What happened to Vero? :) I know .. no answer to that..lol!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:44 pm

sunphoenix wrote:
Though I must wonder why she needs it as she seems to already have a form of serial immortality?

There are flaws in her current system that can result in unstable clones. The most in-depth explanation has been near the beginning of episode 11.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi all - I'm loving this latest episode, but I'm confused now. They were just on the surface of a planet talking about how she's a clone, getting reading to access the archive, and now there's a space ship above some sort of asteroid? Is it a different space ship, or did they take off and go somewhere else? Or are they on the asteroid and we're just looking from a bird's eye view?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am

Hmm, I think I get it - they stopped on the planet ON THE WAY to the archive..."because the planet's high metal content could have masked similar artifacts". Could have been more clear. So they thought that the archive might have been there and stopped to investigate, but were wrong? If they were all killed there except the colonel, how does he know where the archive actually is?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 am

Yep you've got it! I know it can be a little tricky when I jump around without narration.

The Major always knew where the data cache was supposed to be located--but he's never told us how *he* (or Earth's Revival, who he was working for during his first expedition to the cache) got that information in the first place.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 pm

So presumably the older Selenis thought that the the archive was on the planet and jumped the gun by killing them all? We never saw this in any previous episode right?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 am

Yeah, we didn't see that happen. She might have thought it was on the planetoid where they landed, but at any rate she definitely took the opportunity to eliminate the competition and get the necessary information from one of their ships.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 pm