comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Lasso drawing! 

A* is drawn using the lasso selection tool in Photoshop: trace a shape on the Background layer with the lasso, then use the Cut function, and voila, the shape is filled in with your current background color. Since I'm working only in black and white, I can map Cut (CTRL+X) and foreground/background color toggle (D) to the thumb buttons on my drawing tablet's stylus, and draw very quickly, since the lasso lets me block out large areas very rapidly, and I hardly ever have to reach away from my drawing for other tools or functions (I also have zoom in/out, Space, Ctrl, Shift, Alt, and Ctrl mapped to buttons on the tablet, which are handy for panning around the image, and adding or subtracting to the current lasso selection).

Lasso drawing was something I started doing in college, on an Amiga, umm I guess 13 or 14 years ago, although I took a long hiatus from it for a while. I've done some looking before, but I've never found evidence of other people drawing with the lasso tool.

Until today!

I found a blog entry by Whitney Pollett, who lists herself as a character designer for Disney, where she posted a picture she drew with the lasso tool:

http://whitneypollett.blogspot.com/2008 ... ol-in.html

(larger version linked in her blog post)

Well, this is exciting. So, if you come across any other lasso artists, or do some lasso drawing yourself, please let me know!

Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:31 am

While waiting--quite possibly forever--for other lasso art to show up, I figured I might as well round up some of the lasso drawings I used to do on weekends while working on The Matrix Online--these were how I spent most of my Saturday evenings between May '06 and September '08.

I'm going to show the first three, and you'll see how incredibly awful they were at the beginning. I hadn't tried lasso drawing in about ten years, and I hadn't really done any drawing at all in oh five years or more. But the lasso thing came back to me and eventually they got a bit better. After the first three, the remainder are just the ones that I think were most successful, from oldest to newest. A lot of the time the drawing was just a way to help me work out story issues in a sort of non-verbal way, and that didn't always make for interesting images. If you'd like to see the rest of them, you'll find them in this thread on The Matrix Online forums, where I posted as "Rarebit."

Eep!

Stars!

While they weren't all winners, it was the increasing facility with which I was able to kick these drawings out that convinced me that I could use this technique to make simple cinematics. I used that last drawing as a test image in early animation tests to make sure the technical side would work, and then did two MXO cinematics over the next three months, which you'll find linked in the "about" page on this site.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Oooh wow these are great! I remember quite seeing quite a few of these before :)

Lasso drawing amazes me. I just can't get my head around how people can make such great things using it cause I totally cannot use it for anything... granted I use a mouse and not a tablet. I'm more a fan of the pen tool but even then I've only done one thing with it cause I'm lazy :)

Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

ABSOLUTLY OT

that images..... sigh..... reminds me of the most beautiful intriguing riddles about mxo.... the dear 991 exile....

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:02 am

Haha and I see Synapze spammed the MXO forum for me. =P

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:41 pm

An interesting (and free, Alpha stage) program called Alchemy draws in a sort of lasso way by default. It can't do layers or many effect or whatnot--it's intended more as a sketching/creativity tool, it seems; they even left out Undo intentionally!--and there's a quirk or two about the drawing that I'd love to see them work out, but definitely worth checking out if you're into this sort of thing:

http://al.chemy.org

Lots of lasso-ish black and white drawings in the art section of their forums:

http://al.chemy.org/forum/sketches/

Also, I'm uploading a lot of my MXO sketches to A* on deviantART; they include some of the above, and a bunch of others as well.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: one of those Alchemy drawing quirks, I brought it up with the developers, and developer Dave is at least thinking about it. Ooh!

And in other lasso drawing news, tonight super hero comic book artist extraordinaire (I loved his old run on JLA) Adam Hughes revealed that he uses the lasso tool and the mouse to do his coloring (the pencil tool is also involved somehow too!), visible for instance in this detail of the cover for Catwoman #70.

Man!

Fri May 22, 2009 12:10 am

Found another artist on deviantART using the lasso tool: UK comic book illustrator Philip Chapman (aka thefastestBluralive) is using it for part of his work on recent pages of an in-progress comic called "Pink Princess" (which appears to be much more violent than the name would imply ;).

Sun May 24, 2009 4:46 am

There actually is a lasso drawing under all the kludgy attempts to do stuff with custom brushes; anyway I don't really have a better place to put this, so here it is:

I had a story idea bugging me but I came to the conclusion that I couldn't get away with writing it. Sooo I'll just do this picture. I think it's called "Interface," although I was momentarily tempted by the currently popular "Wake up."

Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:42 am

These are actually pretty good.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:46 am
Profile WWW