comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

word 

Heh, Belfry Webcomics categorizes -word- as "Spiritual."

And I can't make a Facebook fan page for it because "word" is a banned word in fan page titles. :o

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 am

Hey Man

Hurry up man
time's a wastin'
Hurry up man
why you waitin'
My Judgement Day's come, man
don't leave me hangin'

If you were following me on Facebook a few months back, you'll have seen this poem before, although not in graphical form. I'm going to take the "best" of the various short poems I'd written up between oh three and five years ago or so and word-ify 'em.

One change I made to the displayed font was completing the left side of the "c," which normally has a white line through it that makes it really hard to read--it looks just like two curves, one over the other.

The sort of jaggedy jagged line effect is an artifact of having multiple Difference layers over each other--it occurs along antialiased alpha'd edges. Sort of ugly but also sort of neat. Anyway it seemed to fit for this one.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 am

Anticipating

This actually had to do with looking forward to going and getting some tasty Indian food; I don't think there are mangos in Pac-Man but hey, it was a more innocent time...and possibly a less happy time, if the availability of mango lamb and mango lassi was lower. :d

The version of PacFont at dafont.com said it was only free for personal use. I think it was a more recent version than this other one I found on 1001fonts.com, whose ttf is dated from 1998, has slightly less detailed letters, but is free for commercial use. Huh in fact it looks like the very latest version on the designer's site isn't free for anyone at all anymore. So I'll stick with the crusty but free '98 version!

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:15 am

You can now get -word- updates via Twitter, oh and via Facebook (finally figured out how to do that :p).

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Red Banana

So you just jumped down a well
with a girl who's pretty swell
Well?
Is she really cool
or at least is she into you?

I don't know man
I mean exactly what's the plan
Bu-ut
I think I'll have to hang up
Every single pulse is keyed up

All right bro
but you really oughtta know
I mean if it was me
I'd be a little worried
about the lack of certainty

You say it doesn't matter
and you'll eat a red banana
and you'll just keep goin' on

But do you think it's really wise
I mean I surely sympathize
but it sounds like a bad idea

Yeah I don't know
but I really gotta go
Ya see the water's starting to rise

Good luck with that man
Not to sound like a ham
but I think you're in over your head

~~~~~~~

A bunch of rhymes woke me up and coalesced into this. I've probably been listening to too much Flight of the Conchords.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:01 pm

For a Rainy Day

Remember when the weather was nice?
We could have picnic'd, or even flown kites.
We didn't, of course; we just stayed inside.
Still, I like it when it's sunny outside.

~~~~~~

Inside/outside is such a cheap rhyme. ;D

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Fassing Pancies

~~~~~~~

Was thinking over the lyrics of Love is Here to Stay
Quote:
The radio and the telephone and the movies that we know
May just be passing fancies, and in time may go

[embed]OEWZS24OZD4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0[/embed]

when this stroke of unsurpassable genius occurred.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:28 am

Garbo

Your mind poisons my daydreams
Your eyes pierce my reverie
Let me pull a Garbo
Let me go
I need to vanish over your horizon

~~~~~~~

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Trismegistus

No knight this knave
But a man, but a babe
His uncouth arms unproven
His mind a mystery to men

~~~~~~~~

Lots of silly old wordplay here. I've been making my way--excruciatingly slowly--through the Middle English alliterative poem "The Siege of Jerusalem," and this morning mumbled my way through to line 108, in which a messenger describes the baby Jesus to Roman commander Titus (later emperor) as "A kyng and a knave child." "Knave" there means simply "male offspring," without the derogatory aspect by which we know it today.

"Trismegistus" means "thrice great" (what is that, Latin or something :p), and has all kinds of interesting conjectured origins; it is part of the name of Hermes Trismegistus, who was a combination of of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth, and to whom, beginning in the second or third century AD, were attributed numerous writings on alchemy, astrology, and magic, although the name cropped up a century or two earlier, and the Hermes/Thoth combination was known to Greeks and Romans, maybe several centuries before that. But Hermes Trismegistus, moving through eastern civilizations before being rediscovered by the west, became known as a pagan sage credited with inventing alchemy, etc, and there was all kinds of crazy stuff associated with this from the Middle Ages up until quite recently, even. So "Trismegistus" has been said to have come from such various things as an ancient triple invocation of Thoth ("Thoth the great, the great, the great"), an association with the Trinity, a credit to his supposed mastery of the three "hermetic" arts of alchemy, astrology, and magic, or his being "the greatest philosopher and the greatest priest and the greatest king."

Well, that's fun. In this poem, technically it just refers to the triple attribution "knave," "man," "babe."

Originally I was going to use a font called "Kingthings Spikeless," and was going to call the poem "King Uncrowned," since I've had a lyric from a Dinah Washington rendition of "If I had you" (I think... It isn't quite this one, though, so I dunno maybe it was someone else... Huh it isn't this Carmen McRae, either... hrm) in my head:

I could be a queen dear, uncrowned
Humble or poor, rich or renowned

Buuut then I decided "king/queen uncrowned" was too common, and besides which Kingthings Spikeless turned out to be too hard to read. So, Trismegistus!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

The Source

Overeducation
plus
Sexualfrustration

~~~~~~~

I would like to think that this isn't true, which probably means that it is.
I like this font an awful lot, and it's awfully hard to read.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:07 pm