comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Sketchy 

100 Sketchy comics! Woooo! Toast and honey for everyone!

:D

Fri May 14, 2010 4:41 am

A story popped into my head over the weekend, and I was thinking gosh, I want to make a little comic of it, but how can I do that when I've already got three comic series I have to update regularly? Sooo I stuck it into Sketchy. :D I figure Sketchy likes to embellish the facts once in a while, so he should make a dandy story teller--by proxy, anyway. Thus begins without any other warning ~~ The tale of Death Boy!

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:43 am

Starting with Sketchy page 187, I'm drawing the pages at 4x screen resolution with the "Ink" tool in the freeware open source image manipulation program GIMP--I was experimenting with various drawing programs over the weekend, and I really like what the GIMP's Ink tool can do--really sharp results, and fun to draw with, too! I'll miss Photoshop's sort of blodgey Paintbrush tool in its blurry, simple way, but I'm all about the Ink from here out.

This also means that any prints ordered will look much sharper than what you can actually see on the web, woo.

Here's a little comparison example I was doing for myself over the weekend in testing GIMP. The top drawing is my first GIMP doodle, the middle is me going back to try the same doodle in Photoshop, and the third is me then switching back to GIMP for a second Ink tool scribble.

The nifty thing about the Ink tool is that not only are its lines really nice and smooth, and sharp, but also in addition to being able to scale the line width by the pressure you're putting on your stylus, like Photoshop can do, it also scales width based on how fast you're moving the pointer, so if you're moving it quickly, it slims the lines down, and if you move it slowly, it widens it to get a sort of pooling effect, in effect. Sounds weird but in practice it's really intuitive; it makes it a breeze to make quick thin "speed line" type of line patterns, for instance, and in general I just feel way more in control of the line width than I am through pressure alone with other tools.

I am moving the pages back over to Photoshop for shrinking down to web size, though, because GIMP's image scaling is actually pretty ugly. :P

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:31 am

Sketchy's "Tale of Death Boy" is going along pretty well!

(^That's this page here from a couple days ago.)

I think we're maybe something like 2/3rds of the way though it? Anyway once Death Boy's story is done, we'll catch back up with Sketchy for a bit, but not for long, because I just had another of his tall tales pop unbidden into my head today! It's an exotic one in foreign lands, full of romance, adventure, and brilliant (if I say so myself... >_>) bits of comedy. Yep!

So that will be fun, and I hope you enjoy the unbelievable end to The Tale of Death Boy in the meantime!

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Sketchy's in my Seattle art show through December! You can even see the Sketchy print framed and on the wall in the lower left corner of this fuzzy photo I took at the installation:

*sniff* My little blob (or Death Boy, specifically) is all grown up now.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:08 am

It's been ages since I saw Dr. Strangelove, but it seems to have taken over my portrayal of "The General" in "The Tale of Death Boy," for instance

(link)

Oh well, I could be ripping off worse things, I guess. :P

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 am

The lunar satellite on page 245

is modeled on the military/NASA Clementine probe, which conducted extensive mapping of the Moon. Its name came from the old song "Oh My Darling, Clementine," because after its Moon orbits, it was to go investigate the near-Earth asteroid 1620 Geographos--which at the time of the mission, in 1994, was at its closest approach to Earth in two centuries, and the closest it will get until 2586: 5 million kilometers (curiously expressed on the Wikipedia page as "5.0 Gm"--that's gigameters, a unit equal to a billion meters)--so the probe would fly by the asteroid and then, out of fuel, continue drifting off into space, becoming "lost and gone forever" like the lyric of the song.

Geographos, incidentally, is thought to be the most elongated body in the solar system, measuring an estimated 5.1x1.8 km--that's the best measurement achieved from Earth by radar telescopes in the Deep Space Network, because Clementine didn't make it to the asteroid: while looping back to Earth for the transfer to its course to the asteriod, a malfunction fired one of its maneuvering thrusters for 11 minutes, using up the probe's fuel and leaving it in an 80 rpm spin! So it was left in an Earth orbit, passing through the radiation belts, and was last heard from a month later before it lost power.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

And with page 267, we take our leave of Death Boy. If you've just gotten here recently, Sketchy's "Tale of Death Boy" started back on page 142; if you've been here for the whole thing, well, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! :D

Starting tomorrow we'll see if we can catch up with Sketchy himself, but just for a bit, as I want to get right into his next story, which will be a tall tale of amusing adventure south of the border!

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Just starting the next Sketchy tall tale, "The Mercenary and the Mariachi." At first I thought of the clever title "The Gringo and the Gaucho," but then I remembered that a gaucho is...not a mariachi. Well hey maybe that can be the sequel!

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

The current "Mercenary & Mariachi" tale involves two realistic-looking protagonists, which kind of demands the ability for more detail, so with page 295 I'm switching to a smaller brush size. Now even Sketchier!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 pm