comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Fermi Bubbles 

So are spaceships.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:08 am

Exactly! Wait... :o

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Just a fantastic photograph of those Fermi Bubbles in our favorite galaxy.
I was looking at it wondering what seemed to be missing.
Just to get that picture they had to tweak it and exclude everything except the highest energy gamma rays.
The tricky part is that camera is still inside this galaxy but the "scattered background radiation" has a pattern.
Then it makes sense, and there's the missing part.
Its like the surface of an elliptical galaxy that connects the center to the edges.
We can't normally see any of this, including the black hole, but if we know its there and it has these plumes/bursts/bubbles (as shown in the picture from NASA/ESA) then there's still something not visible with only tiny clues as to its existence because its energy level is much lower than the hot core. All I did was to generally indicate where it would be. If this is reasonably true than that would make our very own favorite galaxy a space engine! Just the black hole in the center of the galaxy could be seen as a space engine, but the included circulation is completing an integrated system of energy-exchange. Also it would explain why there isn't any dark matter, because the propulsion is invisible. The reason they're looking for the dark matter is because of this motion that can't be explained by Newtonian mechanics. The motion is induced by the energy of the center (which comes from the inward-falling disk to the center) where it is converted back out to the edges as a form of propulsion.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am

Yeah, electromagnetism to explain why stars at the edges of galaxies are moving as fast as stars on the inside, which can't be explained by our current understanding of gravity. The fall-off rate of electromagnetism is supposed to be much faster than gravity (a cubed power instead of a squared power, or something like that?), but considering that we just now spotted those bubbles, who knows?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:38 am

No, actually electromagnetic and gravitational fields fall off at the same rate: r^2. Typically electric forces are much greater than gravitational forces for purely charged particles. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_field)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:54 am

Oops! Goodness, how did I get that planted in my head. Thanks for the correction!

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck it was that fell off as a cube that I got confused with electromagnetism. Hmrr.

EDIT: Ah I think it was something to do with magnetic field strength in certain cases. But I don't even know what say a charge dipole is, so I think it'd be best if I just do my best to purge the notion from my head entirely.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 am