comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Lasso drawing! 

Hehe try not to sound so surprised! =P

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:52 pm

An artist I follow on deviantART, "janaschi," just uploaded a digital painting called lasso tool ftw; it looks like she probably used the lasso for most of the basic structure of the mountains, and then possibly switched to other brushes and tools to work in color details over it--although of course I could be wrong about that.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 pm

BC wrote:
Re: one of those Alchemy drawing quirks, I brought it up with the developers, and developer Dave is at least thinking about it. Ooh!

My suggestion about sort of freeing up the drawing in Alchemy's default mode to allow for free lasso-style drawing has been implemented in their latest Alpha version! Yay! It's pretty sweet.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 pm

I wrote an article on drawing with the Lasso Tool for a new webcomic authoring site called The Webcomic Builder. The article details the specific steps I use to create the drawings I make for A*, as a kind of tutorial in the weird ways of lasso drawing. So check it out to learn all my questionable secrets!

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:51 pm

deviantART user squazilla has been doing some cool lasso drawings lately, like this one: check out that pose, the clothing and facial detail, and those shades of gray! Nice.

Also, on her page I noticed another artist commenting about using the lasso; that was maxprodanov, who did this piece with the polygonal lasso tool.

Nedroid does the coloring for the popular webcomic "The Adventures of Dr. McNinja" these days, and a while back put up a coloring tutorial where he gives a detailed description of his coloring technique, which involves using the lasso tool to isolate areas to be colored. That's more of a traditional use of the lasso tool and not exactly lasso drawing per se, but hey I'll take what I can get.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 am

The inevitable result of a certain Matrix conspiracy theory that crept into my head over the weekend:

You'll find the full silly explanation over on its deviantART page.

Tue May 04, 2010 5:01 am

A couple weeks ago my usual general frustration with some of the lasso tool's quirks--namely wobbliness and weak anti-aliasing--got me doing some back-to-back comparisons between the lasso tools in Photoshop 4 (my old standby) and CS2 (the most recent Photoshop I have :P): basically I'd try drawing the same thing, say a circle, at different speeds in each program, and then compare the results side by side.

I deleted them all--this was something of a frenzied late night mad scientist operation, and the results were uniformly monstrous, though in slightly different ways. I was mostly disappointed that CS2's lasso wasn't really that much smoother than 4's; for some reason I had thought that it was, but in direct comparisons, although it *maybe* handled slow-speed drawing with very slightly less wobbliness, and appeared to do slightly stronger anti-aliasing, when drawing quickly--making a big sweeping curve with a single hand motion across the drawing tablet's surface, for instance--CS2's lasso shape tends to come out as a series of straight line segments, rather than a smooth curve, like it does for me in 4.

I'm thinking this might just be due to CS2 in general sucking up more CPU than 4 does, so it has less calculation power left for yielding a detailed lasso result, and has to take shortcuts, and so the difference would probably be much less pronounced on a faster machine (mine's a WinXP machine with a 2.4 GHz something or other). Still, it's kind of sad that the lasso is essentially getting short shrift, whereas they've evidently spent a fair amount of time making brush tool output smoother. :P Then again I have no idea what the lasso might be like in even newer-fangled Photoshops; maybe they've given it some lovin' of late. Then again again it's a moot point for me because I don't plan to pony up the dough for yet another version of Photoshop any time soon--not when I'm so emotionally attached to my classic 1996 version! :D :P

Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 am

I recently got pulled in as co-founder of a group called #Lasso-tool on deviantART; we've got a bunch of Lasso-Tool-created artwork in there now, even a coloring example from Adam Hughes! :o Turns out lots of people are doing cool stuff with the Lasso Tool these days, huzzah!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:07 am

This method explains the quick drawings and sharp-edge look to them.
I thought you did this all in Flash, since the animated Chapters sort of hinted at that.
These illustrations you do are amazingly good for a story like SMBH. Even when they aren't exactly all there its OK because its more involving to not get 100% of the image- you never do in real life either but you make it up with continuity, by getting another view, and another on following pages.
This is a great story, by the way!

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks! Some of my favorite stories--like the movie "The Big Sleep"--are those that don't tell you everything; they just go along showing you things here and there, and it's up to you to put it together. I'm not very good at mysteries so I sometimes have to see a movie like that two or three times before I get it all, but that's part of what makes it fun for me. So that's the kind of thing I try to do in my own stories, and it's always good to hear that enough is getting across to keep people interested. :)

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:07 pm