comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
The Princess and the Giant 

Page 138

"Whaaaaaat is going on" you may be wondering. Well the paper-thin story excuse for this is that the Princess, who has just gone to sleep, is having wacky dreams; it's a convenient excuse for me to draw whatever the heck fantasy art I want to draw for a while!

There are two main reasons why I'm doing this. For one, we've pretty much finished the first main story arc, and are coming up on where the second would begin--so we're between story arcs at the moment, and I've been noticing that the little wrap up / introduction things one would like to do for character and story reasons in this kind of transitional phase are tricky to do and take a heck of a long time to get done in a once-a-week silent strip--a long and relatively boring time for all concerned, I suspect. And that seems a drawback of the form, so maybe I have to rethink that approach.

The second reason is that I've found that...it's hard to draw the Princess and the Giant. Together. At least, in an interesting way. It's just a scale issue: to fit her in, he's got to be cropped severely, and to fit him in, she's got to be drawn really tiny. This is awkward, especially since I would much rather be drawing pretty princesses than warm-hearted giants, bless their nightshirts. =P So in approaching the next story arc, the first thing I found myself thinking was "okay how do I get the Giant out of the way for a while" and then I realized that hm, this is likely to be an ongoing problem that you'd have thought I'd have thought of and solved way back, like, before I started the comic. But it was so easy back in the beginning because I knew I wouldn't have to worry about fitting the Giant into the page for like at least thirty pages or so. :P Well time has caught up and yeah this is another thing I might need to rethink.

So while I do that, or procrastinate from doing that, I think I'll just draw crazy fantasy dreams. That's more or less what the strip was intended to be in the first place, anyway, albeit arranged in some sort of chronological story. Any chronology or even relationship of any sort from page to page in this dream phase, however long it lasts, are likely to be entirely coincidental--except that many will probably feature the Princess, or someone suspiciously similar to her, in some dream form or other.

For instance, in this week's page, could that be a future Princess who's become a bad-ass warrior woman, obtained a custom-tailored fur onesie, freakin' huge neck, strange ornamental glaive, and an urge to pose in front of smoke with her hand in a weird claw sign, and has sort of absorbed some of the facial features of that second probation officer from that "Misfits" BBC show that I may or may not have been watching recently? I will leave it to your imagination! *cough*

Also here's a photo of the page when it was just pencils:

I had to take the hair down a little later. >_>

So anyway I'm not sure when she'll wake up or if the dreams will ever take on some more sensible, story-like shape. Hopefully the art will at least be halfway decent! This week I found that it's pretty fun to do smoke and cloudy skies in ink wash. That fire may need a bit of work though.

EDIT: Blehh turns out random fantasy art is harder than initially calculated! Attacked the painting anew to eliminate some lameness. Here's the initially uploaded version (fortunately I tend to upload these late at night when nobody is looking! :D):

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:31 am

Page 139

For a while now (since she was vaguely planned to feature in future story) I've figured that if the Princess had an arch-nemesis, she would have to be a slightly more mature blond sorceress; the logic of this is clearly irrefutable.

Pencils!

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Page 140

New brush! So flexible and frisky--it just seemed to demand some prancing on hot lava!

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Page 141

I dunno how often I'm going to draw male characters but for some reason I really felt like drawing this guy, so there! Not that I have any conscious idea of what the heck is going on there. :P

I will probably have to take Sunday the 4th of March off from doing a Princess update because I'll have jury duty the next week and will have to be spending the weekend working ahead on my sci-fi comic, A*. Dar. That's still a ways off though.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Page 142

Another week, another guy with a glowing sword. >_>

This is the first real piece I've done using Copic Multiliner markers for details! They're pretty nice, and they let me go nuts with cross-hatching and such. ... My arm is a little sore at the moment, actually. Totally worth it, though!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Page 143

This is the final page of The Princess and the Giant; I have had to admit to myself that I no longer have--nor have I had for a while now--the time to devote to doing a weekend strip properly. This is unfair to the Princess, the Giant, and most of all to you, the reader, but there it is.

Thank you very, very much for reading. I have greatly appreciated every comment and piece of support, criticism, and feedback that I have received from the many generous and caring people with whom I have had the privilege of interacting over the course of this silent adventure. Thank you!~~

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18