comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
The Princess and the Giant 

You can now buy hand-signed prints of Princess and the Giant comics! Just go to princess.smbhax.com, find the comic of your choice, and click the "buy hand-signed print" link. They're printed on heavy 8.5" x 11" "cardstock" paper from the original high-res source art, signed by me, then shipped to you.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:23 am

Page 9

I got out of drawing horses by loading the Princess onto a boat. ;D

You may recognize that helmet at lower left--someone else was wearing it not too long ago.

The ship is based on the 16th century Spanish carrack"Victoria," the only one of Magellan's ships to make it back home three years later, in 1522, after circumnavigating the world--the first ship to achieve that feat. The other four ships were all lost; of the 265 men who went on the voyage, only 35 made it back to Spain. Magellan wasn't one of them: he was killed in the Philipines.

So the Victoria was kind of a lucky ship. I picked it because there's a pretty good picture of a replica:

I went with a caravel rather than the better known galleon type of sailing ship for a number of reasons: caravels have that nice curvy U-shape with a high bow and stern, they're bigger than galleons, and they're older, thus a little closer to fantasy for us.

I got paranoid and was saving stages of work as I went, so here's a sort of sequence of the drawing of number nine:

Looks like chaos I know, but I had relatively few large revisions that I had to make as I went, which is somewhat unusual for me. Whew!

Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:02 am

Page 10

Here's the scurvy dogs' ship under sail across the great mysterious ocean. Even a relatively old sailing ship design like a carrack (I was calling it a "caravel" last week, oops; those were similarly brought along by the Portuguese in the 15th century, but caravels were smaller and more maneuverable) had quite a few sails, and looked fairly impressive when they were all flying.

One sorta interesting thing about carracks was that the third mast, the "mizzenmast," was "lateen-rigged," which means that it had a triangular sail sort of slung diagonally from the vertical mast. Adds a bit of contrast against all those big square or trapezoidal sails.

The large sea monsters in the background were inspired by monsters you see on old maps, like: this and this. The thingy in the upper left is based on the old popular conception of a whale, for instance. There are six sea creatures here in total--can you spot them all?

Next week we'll zoom in on the Princess (see her down there?) and see how she's faring on that big ol' boat.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:42 am

Are you sure it isn't Trogdor?

Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 am

I employed some chiaroscuro shading!

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:15 pm

I had been thinking of putting a quinotaur in there, but there don't seem to be any good reference drawings of one! :P

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Page 11

No research necessary this week, just lots of time spent on making stars, strands of hair, and those little squidgy reflections in eyes that make them look alive--while trying not to go overboard and make her look like some glassy-eyed anime bimbo. Anyway hopefully the pose and expression show that she's maybe a little scared, and wishes she were safe at home, but she's still determined to keep her wits about her and escape if possible. Notice that they were nice (or careless?) enough to take off the rope that was binding her hands together.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:50 am

Page 12

Another strange sea-beast spotted!

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:24 am

Page 13

I have *got* to stop cramming more and more people into these things, phew. Actually the fashionably dressed (if you were in vaguely Europe in...oh...some century between 1600 and 1800, maybe?) fellows on the left were relatively easy to draw; it's the squirmy shrimps on the right that end up giving me trouble--the Princess, too. Why, it looks like she's almost on the verge of performing an anachronistic fist-pump, for crying out loud. I assure you, however, that it is merely a momentary, incidental pose, and that our well-bred young lady wouldn't dream of making such an uncouth gesture.

She might punch one of those kidnapper guys again, though.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:11 am

No, she is not going to turn into a mermaid. :P

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next