comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
The Princess and the Giant 

Page 28

Another plunge into a dark forest--oh wait, this is a jungle; see, totally different!--gave me the idea of illuminating her really bright, with minimal shading, like a flashbulb going off or something. It doesn't really make logical sense--I mean, you could have a sun break in the jungle that would seem really really bright, but a conveniently Princess-shaped sun break with pitch blackness just outside it? probably not--but I think it did help make for a different and relatively dramatic image.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 am

Put "updates Sundays" in the page titles and on the archive page--oh and on the more comics by me page--to make the update schedule easier to find!

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Page 29

This is only the second time I've drawn the Princess' face in profile, and the other one was much smaller, more cartoonish, and less diagonal, so I had a lot of work to do in working out how to do her profile here. Hopefully it came out okay! Noses are so much less obtrusive and bizarre-looking when you can draw them from the front. :P

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 am

Page 30

That fortress way off in the distance there keeps making me think of those funky two-legged blue ships in Tron.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:14 am

My dad came up with a couple good questions about the comic today!

First, the Princess had been tied up ever since being brought to this deserty land, but then when the Giant appears, she jumps up and springs away, and her bonds have mysteriously disappeared! Where'd they go?

That continuity issue had only occurred to me over this past weekend, and the real answer to this, I think, is that I forgot about them. ;) And I think subconsciously I was really tired of them because they greatly restricted the poses the Princess could assume; so when she leaps away, miraculously untied, that was also something of an artistic release for me.

The closest of the kidnappers to her in that sequence before the Giant appears--the little guy wearing the big knight's helmet--had a sword, and I was originally going to draw it fallen on the ground on pages 24 and 26 to sort of show that he'd scampered away when the Giant rears up over them, but in the end I didn't like wedging it into the composition, so I left it out; you'll notice he hasn't been carrying it in these last few pages, when the kidnappers are traveling to the castle. I can't remember if I thought that she'd have used his dropped sword to cut the ropes, and I don't think I really did, but I'm going to use that as my explanation/excuse for where the ropes went. ;) Bonus points to dad for being the first to point it out! And if he'd thought of the sword explanation he'd have got a No-Prize. ;D

The second question was about the handsome young buck who jumped into a rowboat to--presumably--try to save the Princess from her kidnappers when she dove into the ocean and was swimming away from their boat. Apparently he failed, because the last we see is him dodging backwards from a crossbow bolt one of the kidnappers fires at him as others scoop her up in a net. But he may be showing up again some time in the future, although I don't think out every detail of the story yards and yards in advance, so it's entirely possible that I won't end up having another use for him, or that I'll just forget about him, like the ropes. =p

Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Page 31

Those little guys sure get picked on a lot. Maybe that's why they turned to crime.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:24 am

Added a couple "skyscraper" or bookmark-sized banners based on recent pages:

Image Image

And by "added," I mean I stuffed them into the totally icon-and-banner-overloaded first post in this thread.

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:32 am

Page 32

This wasn't at all like the image I thought I'd be drawing, but this idea for the layout suddenly just popped into my head and I doodled it and was like huh well I'll just play with this for a few minutes but it kept going and here we are. It's out of control! Like don't ask me what those hairs in her face are doing or her left hand for goodness sake or why she's looking sort of patrician deco this week.

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:23 am

A print of Page 32 ^ marks the first signed print I've sold through the web site's signed print ordering service (the "buy hand-signed print" link above or below (for A* dailies) each comic. Yay! So a hearty thanks from me to the purchaser, and you'll find that on your print, below the signature I've written in a #1, and a sincerely meant "<3." :D

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Page 33

This came out a little freakier than I'd have done...consciously on purpose. So don't worry, this comic isn't turning into some kind of cheesy horror flick, and this little turn for the freakish will resolve itself rather quickly--next week, say!

Oh yeah, and the site has ads running through Project Wonderful now, although I guess it may take a day or so before they start advertising something other than my own stuff. Let me know if they give you any trouble.

Oh oh yeah: the comic can now run completely through princess.smbhax.com; I mean that it won't automatically redirect you to a script address under smbhax.com instead of princess.smbhax.com, soo it should be easier to tell what site you're on, easier to bookmark, and so forth. It's all working just super perfectly as far as I can tell, but again let me know if it causes any problems.

Well okay one thing that *will* be a little weird will be if you'd used the little "bookmark" button thingy to save your place before, because it'll still work, but it'll take you to smbhax.com/[etc] instead of the newfangled princess.smbhax.com/[etc]: identical pages, just different URLs. Stick a "princess" on the front and you'll be all caught up with the wave of the future.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next