comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
The Princess and the Giant 

Page 15

Now see, if the Princess had thought ahead a bit, she might at least have grabbed an oar, not to mention dropping a dinghy, like this well-prepared fellow from the other boat. Well okay, so she was being held captive and didn't have time to do that... I just wanted to say "dinghy." :p

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 am

Page 16

Ya know, when you skip drawing the horizon, it suddenly looks like everyone's in space. =o Watery space.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:14 am

Page 17

"Lybicke" is apparently "Libyan." "Surbet" is probably from the obsolete transitive verb "surbate," which meant to make sore or bruise, as by walking.

Elizabethan poetry is fun stuff. That stanza doesn't have all that much do to with this week's Princess page, except that they both mention an ocean, and I happened to come across it today--oh and I guess those little guys have "him spied" and are setting upon him with "greedy force." Not sure how a bear and a tiger would be going about meeting in the ocean off Libya buuut I just felt like dropping some Spenser on you. :P

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:13 am

Hm, but Libya is on a sea, not an ocean. Not that Spenser would have cared about a tiny distinction like that when makin' his rhymes, but I suppose by "lybicke Ocean wide" he could have meant the Sahara desert--that would be a slightly more sensible thing for bears and tigers to be meeting foot-sore travelers on. Which would come close to nullifying my slender excuse for including the verse in the first place... Darn that artistic license!

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Page 18

I was originally imagining this with some sort of porthole above her, light filtering in, maybe some sea-spray dampness, etc, but then I figured they'd just throw her in the hold, where you couldn't have a porthole because you're down by or below the waterline. But you can have...rats! And boxes and ropes and sacks. And a lantern. Yes.

Reference rat!

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:15 am

Page 19

Somehow J. Wellington Wimpy, Luigi, and Calvin slipped in there...sorta. 8o

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:57 am

Page 20

Spent time researching elephants, and some really neat architecture and turbans from north Africa and the Middle East. The most immediate in-spire-ation for the building in the background here was Al-Masjid al-Nabawi ("The Mosque of the Prophet") in Medina, Saudi Arabia, specifically the modern facade with its many archways and very tall, thin, complex spires.

Here's a work-in-progress version of the drawing; as you can see I put the characters in very roughly, then started detailing the Princess. For whatever reason I saved her hair for last, and fixing her left eye was the *very* last thing I did, so here she's still crew-cut and cross-eyed. :o

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 am

I saw your ad on my site and clicked on through. I REALLY like the look of The Princess and the Giant! Very cool! It has this wonderful fun storybook quality! Just excellent work! It reminds me of Doug TenNapel's work. http://tennapel.com/ I know sometimes it's annoying to be compared but I buy every graphic novel TenNapel does. Please take it as a compliment.

I look forward to seeing more!

Egg Embry
Writer/Artist - Global Freezing at ComicsByEgg.com and Blog@Newsarama

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:42 pm
Profile WWW

I didn't know he did comics, but I definitely dug his designs in the Earthworm Jim and Skullmonkey video games, and you're right, I really dig his style! Thanks for the link and the extremely generous compliment. :D

Hm, his graphic novels are pretty affordable off of Amazon... If you were gonna recommend just one of his graphic novels to a new reader, which would you suggest?

Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Creature Tech. His art looks more like Mike Mignola's in it then the current "classic" TenNapel but the story was the most fun. Out there, but fun.

And your work is great! I look forward to more!

Egg Embry
Writer/Artist - Global Freezing at ComicsByEgg.com and Blog@Newsarama

Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:16 am
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next