comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Other webcomics :o 

What other webcomics do you follow? We've all seen tons of 'em, but there are always awesome ones we haven't seen that someone else knows about, so let's put our heads together!

I currently follow (added in sort of chronological order of when I started reading them):

[EDIT 08/23/13: I just realized this list, whittled down as it is now, is more or less over--I don't actively keep up with any of the comics still on it. I'm still always on the look-out for cool comic stories to read, but somehow I've run out of ongoing ones that I actually keep up with.]

White Ninja
Totally absurd, frequently rather brilliant.

Red Meat
Primarily an alt-mag print comic, actually, but hey. The clip art style and jokes can get repetitive, but some of the characters, like Milkman Dan, are just fun.

Nedroid Picture Diary
The Picture Diaries mostly focus on the ebullient misadventures of two good buddies, Reginald and Beartato--who appears to be a cross between a bear and a potato, but this, like many other things in Nedroid, is not explained in so many words. A delightful sense of whimsy pervades the early comics; that's to a large extent been replaced by more biting humor now, but the comic still has a unique point of view that's quite adept at turning the seemingly mundane into the hilarious.

Travis Charest's Spacegirl
Hardly ever updates, and is currently only available in Google Plus slideshow form, and the writing might be a little iffy, but dang this single-panel black and white hand-drawn horizontal format science fiction comic (sounds like A*, eh? I found out about it after I'd started A*--back then, it was only available as an online archive someone else had made of pages the author had posted to a newsgroup years before) by veteran print comic artist Charest is gorgeous. For a while I tried to draw like him and failed miserably.

Comics that have ended but I would totally go back and read again:

Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life
Benevolent robotic efficiency has taken over the running of Earth, and colonized the solar system, but two robot workers, feeling they just don't fit in somehow, leave their jobs for a ramble of self-discovery across the known planets in a sharp and endearing parody of human foibles. Sports exquisite low-color art and a startlingly pleasant click-and-drag scrolling interface, but it does update fairly slowly.

Gunmonkey
(Originally) stark black and white, raggedly/experimentally drawn webcomic periodically released in Flash slide show episodes, about a guy who's also...a monkey?--and on the run. But Gunmonkey takes no prisoners! (He also has a few semi-psychotic issues, maybe.) Written in slightly broken English, which makes for some truly wonderful lines, such as "I knew that I reflected pure poetic power." Yes, when he isn't immobilized by depression, pills, or some other regrettable condition, Gunmonkey is a bad-ass.

Fri May 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Other webcomics? Anyone? >_>

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 pm

On it.

The Last Days of Foxhound. It competed its run about a year ago, but its still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Knowledge of the Metal Gear Solid canon is a prerequisite, unfortunately.

While not a webcomic, I think Red vs Bluedeserves a mention. What started as a simple sci-fi comedy has become a... well, a rather complex sci-fi comedy with a serious plot hidden in there somewhere! The ending of "Reconstruction" was shockingly powerful. Not many comedies can pull that off. No prerequisite knowledge of Halo is required, though there is an occasional in-joke.

I'm also fond of ctrl+alt+del, but it hasn't been as funny as it used to be.

These two "what if / CYOA" arcs mightinterest you:

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080402

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20081126

I also read vgcats, f@nboys, penny arcade, and dueling analogs for general game related humor.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Hah, I'm going to have to watch through Red vs Blue some time, pretty good writing there. And I don't even like Halo! I'm pretty sure I saw it back in "the day," although for some reason I was thinking it was like an MS Paint-style comic. :P

Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:09 am

Red Vs Blue used to pretty basic, but they've really improved on their effects and stuff. Its pretty funny too. I recommend you to watch a couple episodes.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:15 pm

{img}http://www.whiteninjacomics.com/images/comics/triangle.gif{/img}

Yes.

~~~~~

EDIT 7/22/2017: Dang, the old White Ninja webcomic site is gone now (redirects to a different comic) and this comic I was hotlinking from them (bad idea #1) is gone with it and I apparently didn't save a copy of it (bad idea #2) and I can't find a copy through Google. :"P

... Oh wait Wayback Machine to the rescue! : D

Looks like White Ninja briefly became an animated Vine series in late 2015 / early 2016 ( whiteninjaseries.com ); currently it seems to have returned to webcomic form, but existing solely on social media, including as @pokeafish on Twitter.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:57 am

Space Rabbit comics by Jessica McLeod -- these are short stories with charming minimalist yet flexible art, and good writing, about a bunny who goes into space and has adventures involving things like tea:

Tea with a Space Rabbit

Space Rabbit in Space

Planet of the Space Rabbits

Battle for the Planet of the Space Rabbits

She also did a one-off gag strip called "Tiny Monster" that had this awesome comic in it:

{img}http://www.webcomicsnation.com/memberimages/dinosaurs1.gif{/img}

~~~~~~~~~

EDIT 7/22/2017 - Dang well her old webcomic site is gone. Managed to rescue that one via the Wayback Machine though:

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:34 pm

I think I got more enjoyment out of that one comic than I did for either Jurassic Park sequel.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Ooh I saw the first sequel, not the second (I don't think I even knew there *was* a second sequel). The first one did kinda need more monocles and top hats, come to think of it.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:17 am

You didn't miss much. They're actually working on a fourth one, where they try and train the dinosaurs as high-tech mercenaries. And no, sadly, I'm not joking.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:50 pm