comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

the other chair 

These have been around for a while but with mixed results, mostly because sitting in one involves changing how you work. The kind I'm writing about is the "backwards" chair, that you kneel and lean forward onto a cushioned rest. The rest of the work station needs to be reworked to make the chair fit because of the more ergonomic posture. For one thing, the monitor can be at a very low position, even sunk into a desk, because it is easier to look at when it is a downward viewing angle. This chair also provides for arm and wrist support, and I would think an easily-implemented drawing table at just the right height for good drawing. It was designed by people who were concerned with the bad positioning of the body in even high-end adjustable office chairs.
And they even come with rollers, to scoot about in typical labor-saving mode !
I read about your problem and wondered if you have ever tried one of these chairs.
Years ago (they have been around since the 1970's) I used one for a short time and it was comfortable once you got used to the position, but the big drawback was that you felt isolated by the lack of other furniture that worked with it. Since you also mentioned changing the position of the monitor, it might work much better as part of an integrated work-station.
You must be more productive for A* !
http://www.healthyback.com/products/Hea ... -chair/152

Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I've actually been thinking about one of those; a store near me that has pretty high quality stuff has a fairly inexpensive model:

http://www.relaxtheback.com/office/ergo ... chair.html

I've never met anyone who's used one so it's nice to know they actually work. I do wonder about pressure on the knee as well if sitting in it for long periods.

My dad and I (mostly my dad :) actually built a heavy but portable drawing desk over this past week, to sit on the arms of my last chair, which were conveniently (for this purpose, anyway) quite low. It worked well, even if the rest of the chair didn't. If this standing thing doesn't work out, I think I'll probably try the kneeling chair, and then nail some 2x4 legs onto the drawing desk thing we made to get it to stand at the right height for use with the kneeling position.

In the last throes of trying to get comfortable in the last chair yesterday, I noticed that when I slid my feet back under the chair so that my upper legs were inclined downward, it took a whole lot of pressure off my back, which suddenly was rather comfortable--and I realized that I had ended up in something not too far from an elevated--if awkward and unanchored--kneeling position. Of course the chair wasn't exactly made for that so the leg space and seat and so forth was all wrong, but the nice back sensation is what made me start thinking seriously about that kneeling chair.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Because of the way these are built, (with mostly straight pieces and cushioned planes) there's not really much to them. The weight distribution is different, and the force is on the more bony parts of your legs, rather than the fleshy parts with all those tubes and fluids. The sensation of sitting becomes almost like floating.
I have seen one with another plane for the arms, at about the right position for typing or draw-padding, that I was thinking about before I looked up what was available on the net and pasted that URL. Maybe this was something that was custom built.
Sort of the design that begs for DIY! These chairs all cost too much for me...

I just remembered where I have seen the chair type with the arm support-
These are used for massage!

http://www.massagechairs.com/MHP-Intern ... Chair.html
Also, there is a cushioned-ring head rest that you poke your face though. You can fall asleep in one of these chairs. Properly adjusted, it supports everything. Actually, these chairs work in conjunction with the internal support everybody already has- they simply allow your bones to work without the extra pressure caused by constraining into a position not really beneficial for you.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:33 am

Whoa, I think I'm getting sleepy just *looking* at that massage chair. :o

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:44 am

The chair I've been drawing for years is an abbreviated version, with just a ledge for a chin/head rest. The table is attached instead of the big cushion at that height.
About 20 years ago I carved something like that out of a single block of foam. It was sort of like riding a motorcycle, with the position being more vertical. I fell asleep in it.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Single-block-of-foam chair sounds pretty sweet. Probably an industry-in-the-making there!

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Maybe : ) but foam is kind of repulsive stuff.
The big reason for prototyping from a solid block was to get the dimensions & working angles. Foam production would require a mold and injection system. The materials are costly and the price fluctuates with the value of crude oil. Then you have these big things that require warehousing, packaging, expensive transportation and dedicated space in use.
Ideally it should collapse, fold, deflate, etc. to a tiny lightweight package with easily replaceable parts and upgrades.
Much better for the mobile or nomadic lifestyle !

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 pm

So, Ive seen these kids novelty toys that are some kind of figure - a dragon, spider, snake etc - which are super compressed foam. You drop them in water and they grow like 50 times the size.
Thats all they would need to do the chairs to make then manageable for storage and shipping.

:P

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 am

Hah !
When you stop to consider exactly how much of the atom (and thus all physical structures) is composed of nothing but vast empty space, it seems like shrinking and expanding matter might only require a small amount of effort.
If you knew how to do it, of course.
A good idea that would probably be worth Quadrillions over the long haul.
Although-
The scene in Futurama when the Scientist says "Good News, Everyone!" comes to mind...

=0 !

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:47 am

Oh well compressing it is easy. All you need is a black hole. :D

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:44 pm