comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

MxO - A Piece of Blue Sky 

I am fascinated by the "A Piece of Blue Sky" event in MxO, and I was wondering if you were involved in writing it, and if so what some of the thinking was behind it. Immediately after reading the story of Decius Wadsworth in the Sentinel newspaper, I felt like it was a parable for the Merovingian's backstory. If that's the case, there were some tasty morsels in that story that seemed to reveal a lot about the Merovingian--especially the idea that his chateau which survives reloads was not just tolerated by the Architect but actually sanctioned by him. This hinted at an even more complex backstory for Merv that had only been hinted at before. Very few people in the game and on the forums seemed to care about this, but I've always wanted to know as much as I can about the Merovingian. I loved how Persephone's quote about Merv being "like Neo" was explained to a certain degree in "A Piece of Blue Sky", or at least his transformation from an innocent Steve Wozniak-type to his current persona of the Merovingian.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:17 pm

If anyone's interested, here's the link where I first discussed A Piece of Blue Sky on the Matrix Explained forum. This was my favorite Matrix-themed forum back in the day, because there were so many amazing people on there who really challenged me to think outside the box in our collective effort to understand what the Matrix mythology was all about. I found it interesting that people on the Matrix Explained forum weren't as interested in MxO, while players of MxO weren't as interested in the philosophy side of things. You gotsta have both, peoples!!

http://www.matrix-explained.com/php/pos ... ght=#73205.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Hmm...for some reason, even though I was able to access the Matrix Explained forum earlier today, it now seems to be unavailable.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Paul Chadwick wrote the "A Piece of Blue Sky" story; I wrote some of the missions or collector dialogue or whatever it was that helped implement it in-game. Paul never mentioned the story going deeper than it appeared, or of having gotten the name for the event from any particular source aside from the obvious sky change itself (although the source you suggest for it sounds to me like just the sort of thing Paul might have been into), but certainly those Wozniak/Wadsworth parallels you've found are pretty compelling! I'm less convinced by the Merovingian connections you suggest, but certainly he was a complex character and it's interesting to think about his origins and motivations and how they have helped shape the Matrix as a whole. (Also my memory of the details is a little fuzzy at this point so you could very well be right about that part too : o.)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:13 pm