comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
A* Episode 19 

Added 1 new A* page:
Getting the shadows in the scanned version of this page to balance out right finally taught me what Photoshop's "Curves" adjustment tool is for. ;)

~~~~~~

Since I rated ten imported Japanese erasers against each other to discover the best eraser for A* in the Supermassive Eraser Round-up a week or so ago, I've got new paper, new pencils, and a whole new batch of erasers--Japanese, American, and German--and so it's time for round 2!

Again, the Pink Pearl in the lower left is just for scale. Oh and two big Faber-Castell erasers at the top aren't actually that long, I just couldn't get them to go back in their little paper sleeves all the way.

Last time, I was testing erasers against relatively hard H-grade Tombow Mono lead on relatively fuzzy, thick Canson Illustration Paper. This time around, unless noted otherwise, they're trying to remove darker, much softer 4B-grade Tombow Mono lead from thinner, smoother Canson Foundation Bristol.

Let's get some of the easy ones out of the way:

Here we see, in the lower left corner, that the Tuff Stuff and Faber-Castell PVC-Free just can't hang in terms of erasing power (that lower test they're in used a 4B-grade Cretacolor Monolith Woodless Pencil, which was overall tougher to erase, maybe because its graphite flakes off a little more readily than the Tombow Mono's, making more of a mess for erasers to deal with--otherwise I stuck with the Mono pencils, though, because they're what I'm drawing A* with).

10. Paper Mate Tuff Stuff Eraser Stick
User reviews of this thin-tipped, mechanically advanced eraser were high, but I felt fairly certain there was no way Paper Mate could make an eraser that could go toe to toe with the big boys--and boy was I right; using the Tuff Stuff is an utterly awful experience: it erasers very poorly, leaves little blobs of debris behind, and the tip wears down very, very quickly. Of course, the point is that it *has* something of a point at the tip and can thus erase tiny little details...but not very well; you'd be far better off, I think, teaming a real eraser with an eraser shield (although I can't say for sure because while I have one, I haven't bothered using it--and part of me wonders if softer erasers might not get a bit cut up against the shield's thin edges; in any case, the Tuff Stuff is still way below what it could be in terms of eraser quality).

9. Faber-Castell PVC-Free Eraser
I found this little guy at my tiny local art supply store; it was cheap and I figured why not. The "PVC-Free" label brought to mind the disastrously awful Tombow Mono NP Non-PVC Eraser, which came in dead last in the first round, and yes, this one is just as bad: erases poorly, and leaves lots of shreds. At the current level of human technology, it seems you just need that darn PVC stuff for proper erasing, because the erasers that try to get by without it are terrible.

Speaking of which:

8. Midori Slim Eraser
A non-PVC eraser sporting a sleek, slender form factor, designer colors, and a sleeve with punched tear strips that peel off in handy increments as you wear down the eraser, the Midori is about as much style over function as you get in an imported block eraser: for all its cool factor, it erases poorly, and wears down very quickly; don't get this if you want to look cool while actually erasing something. I can see why Jetpens.com doesn't stock this one--I came across it at Hong Kong-based import site stationeryart.com [sic].

In that last photo we can also see that the Tombow Mono eraser is holding up pretty well against the previous round's champ, Pentel's Ain Dust-Gathering--and you can see it doing pretty well against the field in the top test of the photo before that, too. First though I'm going to knock off the one in the upper right of that photo, labeled "Hino-tube" in my illegible handwriting:

7. Hinodewashi Matomaru-kun Eraser - Paper Rolled
I tested a long, square-ended Matomaru-kun (Jetpens says "'Matomaru' means 'collects' or 'gathers'" in Japanese) in round 1, and later happened to spot this cylindrical version. It feels like it pretty much uses the same eraser material as the other Matomaru-kun erasers, which means that it is a *very* soft, very tacky eraser that really grips onto the paper--it can erase with the best of them, but it takes extra muscle power to move it across the paper. The handy form factor of this "rolled" version helps give some leverage, *but* the string-and-peel procedure needed to open up a new length of the quickly wearing tip is kind of a pain, and when you do expose that new length of tip--maybe four or five millimeters--it is so soft and tacky that it feels as though it's going to rip right off when you try to use it. Just very difficult to use, and the tip is wide enough that it can't really serve as a good spot eraser, either.

Which brings us to the other Matomaru-kun, whose test patch was labeled "Hinodewashi" in that same photo (...okay, actually "Hindodewashi," because I am that awful at writing):

6. Hinodewashi Matomaru-kun Eraser - Medium
I thought the block form of the Matomaru-kun might make it easier to use than the longer versions, and it does a bit--in particular if feels less likely to tear apart when you're straining away at it--but bringing more of its supremely tacky surface in contact with the paper also just makes it that much harder to move; trying to erase anything with the medium block is a real workout! (I can't even imagine trying to budge the larger size block. :o) In theory this can remove soft lead grades as cleanly as most of the other top erasers here, but it is not worth the significant extra effort needed to accomplish the same level of cleaning that the others can achieve with much less toil.

At this point the five remaining erasers are all pretty darn good. Eliminating the first one is easy, though, if only because you just can't get them any more and I didn't want to use mine up:

5. Tombow Mono Eraser - Small
A shockingly good eraser considering that it was discontinued years ago (and for exactly what I can't seem to discover over the internet; the most I've got is from Jetpens' description of the newer, "Non-PVC" Mono, which says that the original Mono "can no longer be imported due to US government restrictions on the material composition"; I did try looking for clues as to what this forbidden material might be--it feels like a PVC-based eraser to the touch, but is not labeled clearly yea or nay on that as the modern Japanese erasers are; the only thing I could make out on the label was the katakana for "Vietnam," which is probably where it was made); the Mono's erasing and shred-clearing power easily rivals the best modern erasers, still. I think it is just a *shade* behind them--but it's a very tough call, and I would have had to use up a lot of my sole little Mono trying to make a closer determination. Since you can't really buy the original, discontinued Mono anymore (the link above goes to its listing on stationeryart.com, where Google happened to find me a small stock of a couple dozen of the smallest size original Monos--but they were all bought out in a matter of weeks), it can't really be considered a candidate for daily-use erasing, unless you're one of those fanatic old fans (and who can blame you) who stockpiled them back in the day. I'm quite happy to have found one, and while it seems like quite a good, useful eraser, I'd rather preserve it in a spot of honor in my art supply hoard than use it up in further tests or artwork.

That leaves four candidates remaining; I did battery upon battery of tests with them, but there wasn't really all that much difference in their erasing power--they were all darn good at clearing away that 4B lead from the Bristol.

After a page or two of graphite-scrubbing I decided I could eliminate one of them that was something of a duplicate:

4. Faber-Castell Dust-Free Eraser
At my local store, Faber-Castell's Dust-Free Eraser, roughly the same big long bar form-factor as the common "Mars" eraser of Faber-Castell's bitter German rival, Staedtler (the Mars was eliminated before the first round really began :p), was cheaper than their similarly sized "Art Eraser" (see below)--and its white vinyl does seem to erase maybe a *smidge* less effectively than the Art's dark green. Still gosh-darned good at erasing soft lead, and cleaning up its own shreds into big, easily removed single rolls.

That left three erasers, but try as I might, I just could not be sure that I spotted a clear winner or loser among them in total cleaning power--so at this point I had to start considering other important factors in an eraser's effectiveness. I could think of two: durability/longevity, and smeariness. Of these two, when it comes to very soft lead like 4B, I'd been finding in drawing the recent A* pages in 4B that resistance to smearing is the most vitally important factor after overall cleanliness, because smeared graphite can be a pain pain to clean up--and sometimes just can't be cleaned completely, leaving streaks behind--and because a smeary eraser just can't be relied upon to erase fine details, or to leave clean edges. Considering the surviving erasers from that angle, the next elimination--surprising considering the results of the first round-up--was easy:

3. Pentel Hi-Polymer Ain Eraser - Dust Gathering
While the Ain Dust-Gathering reigned supreme at the end of the initial eraser round-up, against hard, light H-grade lead, I noticed even then that it was more prone than the other erasers to smearing when it hit a particularly thick patch of graphite. In H that wasn't a big concern, as it didn't happen too often and the smears could be tidied up pretty easily; when moving to soft 4B lead, though, that inclination to smear became a real drawback, as the eraser left smudges behind that just couldn't be removed, and turned any attempt at fine erasing work into a smudged, blurry area. While it was the most durable of the remaining erasers by quite a bit, its cleaning power, potentially quite high, was too unreliable on the slick 4B surface. It remains my go-to for use on harder lead grades, like H, but not for the softer stuff like 4B.

Now I was down to just two! Which would be champ? How to decide? At first I thought durability would be the telling factor this time, as the one I was trying for daily drawing eventually tore--but then the other tore in another battery of tests! But I realized I could deal with tearing, as long as the thing could be counted upon to erase soft lead without disastrous results on the paper--so again it came down to a smudge test, this one fairly clear cut in the end:

A single swipe of each across a field of heavy 4B graphite showed that one of the two, while not as smeary as the Ain Dust-Gathering, was clearly less firm of footing on the slick surface, and made a bigger mess across the page while picking up less graphite:

2. Faber-Castell Art Eraser
The Art Eraser was quite a surprise: stumbling across it by chance at the local art supply store, I thought there was no way this domestically available, German eraser could take on the imported Japanese giants--surely it would pale in comparison, as had German rival Staedtler's similarly sized "Mars" eraser. Not a bit! The curiously dark green Art Eraser beat out just about all comers when it came to clearing soft lead from smooth Bristol, and was no slouch at rolling its shavings up into easily-cleaned bunches, either. It was one of the sturdier-feeling erasers of the bunch, too, although in fact I think it is fairly soft, and eventually tore in the course of some heavy erasing drills. I can't really count this as a defect, though, as its closest competitor also tore under heavy pressure--I think it's just a necessary factor of the soft texture needed to clean at this level. As far as I'm concerned, then, the Art Eraser is the best eraser I've found in the States; and, incidentally, although it was pricier at my local small chain store than its "Dust-Free" white-colored Faber-Castell brethren, online superstore Dick Blick currently has it *cheaper* than the Dust-Free at the link above; the printing on the sleeve is slightly different, not having the "Art Eraser" title mine does, but the ID number, "58 71 22," is the same, so I'm fairly sure it's the same, excellent eraser, and at a very low price.

And so the soft-lead-erasing champion is:

1. Kokuyo Campus Student Eraser - For 2B Lead
The Campus 2B was second-best in my earlier eraser round-up, against hard H-grade lead, but, as the name implies, it really comes into its own when pitted against the softer "B" grades of graphite; it erases as completely as anything, and automatically gathers its shreds into easily removed long rolls, but where it ultimately pulls away from the rest of the pack is in its sure, confident grip on the page: it is much, much less prone to skidding and smearing than the other erasers in its class, meaning you can carve it into the thickest concentration of soft lead in full confidence of being able to pull away a clean, precise edge where other erasers would be able to manage little better than a smudge.

Part of what it takes to accomplish this sure-footed cleaning power is a soft consistency, and that means the Campus 2B or similar erasers, like the Faber-Castell Art Eraser or the Hinodewashi Matomaru-kuns, can potentially develop a tear or rip close to where you hold them at the tip after repeated heavy use (it took about four full, heavily erased A* pages before the 2B started to develop its first split), but just cut the tip off cleanly with a sharp knife and you're back in business (do *not* just tear off the tip and continue with the jagged torn edge left behind--that will fragment into many smaller torn sections, soon crumbling the rest of the eraser to bits--that's what happened with my first Campus and Matomaru-kun :p).

Also, the first thing to do before you even start using them is to remove the paper sleeve they come with, because the edge of the sleeve will start to cut into the leading end of the eraser once you start flexing it against the page, and then you've got the start of your first tear, and probably very quickly.

Another precaution might be to keep your fingernails in fine trim; mine are maybe a couple millimeters long now and *may* be responsible for starting the latest tearing to my new Campus 2B and Faber-Castell Art Eraser, but I'm not certain of that--with the Art Eraser in particular I think it was more likely just the pressure of the tip against the page that led to tearing on its own.

Anyhoo that's it for now with the erasers; these Campus 2Bs won't last nearly as long in daily use as the little Ain Dust-Gatherers, but for soft lead you still can't beat 'em with anything I know of. And the Ain may have competition even in the hard lead category, as Jetpens just got the Campus B/HB back in stock--the version meant for harder leads. I've got one of those shipping to me, so we'll have at least one more mini-round-up to pit that against the Ain on H-grade lead.

~~~~~

Update: The Campus B/HB is here and ready to go against the Ain Dust-Gathering! See round 3.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:34 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Well yesterday's eraser extravaganza set my schedule back a bit, so just one page today. Hopefully I can get my schedule a little back on track by the weekend, because I want to start something I said I'd talk more about a few days ago, namely getting back to doing some ink work, but on a larger scale--on a 24"x18" page, the biggest I have; that's close to 4 times the area of an A* page, I think. ... Whoa actually it's exactly four times the size of an (16"x6.75") A* page, how about that. A page that size is too big for my scanner, so I'm just going to photograph it as best I can and then put it on eBay and see what I can get for it. The theme will be A*-related somehow, I think, and hopefully it'll turn out decently enough to interest some of you readers out there, because I could use some dough to help with rent and art supplies and stuff. In any case there won't be a reserve price and it will sell for whatever it gets, so I suppose some lucky person could theoretically get it for $0.01--plus shipping : p. Oh hm but I still have to find some big flat boxes for these things so I won't be able to put it up for bid until I get those and work out how much it will cost to ship. Well anyway hopefully there will be at least a little interest and maybe I can get one or two of these big ink drawings done each month on the side.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 am

Added 1 new A* page:
My Campus B/HB erasers arrived already, plus I did some comparison testing vs a kneaded eraser, so we're all set for Supermassive Eraser Round-up, round 3--a relatively quick one with lots of pictures, like so:

The first order of business is to test our previous erasing champion of hard H-grade lead erasing (see round 1), the Pentel Ain Dust-Gathering, versus the Kokuyo Campus B/HB Student Eraser, an eraser designed specifically for use against hard lead grades. B and HB are the grades just softer than H; Kokuyo also has a Campus 2B Student Eraser, which is my current champ for daily use on the soft 4B lead I use for A* pages (see round 2), and I threw it in here for the sake of comparison. These first two photos will be of tests done on relatively soft, rough, and thick Canson Illustration Paper, which is what I use for ink work, with the Platinum Pro-Use II 05 drafting pencil seen in the photo above doing the layout work in the ubiquitous Pentel Super Hi-Polymer 0.5 mm H leads.

First I tried the three erasers against a big mass of the H lead, to see how well they could clear it away:

All the erasers gathered their shavings together neatly into big rolls. There wasn't a huge difference in their brute cleaning power, but the B/HB cleaned maybe a little more thoroughly, and took less arm work to do it. And although smudging isn't nearly the same huge problem it is when trying to eraser softer grades of lead, smudginess does factor in to how easy it is to erase, even at the harder H grade, so I did a single-swipe smudge test:

The Campus B/HB was the clear winner there, with much less smudging. So that was pretty easy: the Campus B/HB is my new eraser of choice for my 0.5 mm layout work. :) That makes Kokuyo's "Student" erasers my top erasers for both hard and soft pencil work, so kudos to Kokuyo for making some really fine erasers! You just can't beat their stability in particular.

Just for funsies I tried the Campus B/HB vs the 2B when up against the softer Tombow Mono 4B lead on the thinner, harder Canson Foundation Bristol I use for daily A* pages:

Sanity prevailed and the 2B was indeed better than the B/HB against soft lead. These things do indeed specialize as advertised!

~~~~~~

Meanwhile, the author of the excellent silent, quirky, and sometimes gory fantasy webcomic series Stupid Snake pointed out, in a discussion of what comic authors use to make their comics, that kneaded erasers are pretty keen. As it happens, I picked up a few Prismacolor Kneaded Erasers in recent months, but found they didn't even outperform my old, relatively crummy Staedtler Mars vinyl block eraser for pure paper-cleaning ability. So just to prove it I thought I'd pit the kneaded eraser against the Campus 2B, cleaning the 4B lead off bristol:

As you can see in the upper section, the kneaded eraser is a relatively poor cleaner; it seems to drive the graphite into little pores in the paper where it can't get them out--even the Campus 2B couldn't get them out once the kneaded eraser had driven them in there, so it creates quite a problem!

However, this is not to say kneaded erasers don't have their advantages and uses. In the lower section there's a smear test, and while the Campus 2B did smear a little, I just couldn't get the kneaded eraser to smudge at all, even though I tried multiple passes over the thick graphite strip. Kneaded erasers don't leave shavings behind like block erasers do, so there's no mess to brush off your drawing and potentially leave smudges in doing so. You can shape kneaded erasers into various forms, like twisting part of them to a thin point for delicate line work; or you can flatten them out and dab them on the page to create very subtle lightening, or various texture effects. So all in all they're very useful if you're doing intricately shaded work, like the photo copying pencil work that's all the rage on deviantART and YouTube. My style, on the other hand, is more high contrast hack and slash, and for that the graphite-eradicating quality of the block erasers is the most important thing.

~~~~~~

As you may have heard me mention earlier, this past Monday the site was switched over to a new, "super-fast" server by my hosting service--but I noticed that at times it was distinctly less than super-fast. :| So I wrote them a note about it, and a day or so later they got back to me and said they'd found and fixed "a drive issue." So far it now *does* seem really super-fast all the time, so that's pretty sweet (I mean, they did this upgrade on their own, I didn't even ask or pay for anything extra :o), and all's well that ends well, hopefully~~

~~~~~~

*Next* Monday may be an odd day around these parts: plumbers will in theory be coming to check on an ominous off-color ceiling seepage in my apartment's bathroom (I suspect the plumbing in the apartment above mine may be a bit on the leaky side), and replacement of our building's parking lot is due to begin, which seems likely to involve energetic jack-hammering about twenty feet from my open windows. So possibly my home studio will be uninhabitable, and I'll just have to take shelter with a day pass at the local pinball arcade instead of staying here and slaving away at new A* pages on my drawing table. >_> I don't really think it likely that the horribleness will all come together at once, especially right away in the work week, so probably I'll be able to stick things out here, but one should be prepared for the worst, shouldn't one?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:34 am

Added 2 new A* pages:
Over the weekend I painted the biggest ink piece I've ever done:

It's 22"x16". It took a lot of ink! :o As soon as I can figure out how to do it it's going up for auction on eBay--hopefully tomorrow, if I waste less time than I did today. : P I've never sold anything on eBay so maybe somebody will win it for a penny, I dunno. Anyway I hope some people will be interested! It's too big to fit in my scanner but I'll get some better photos before the auction goes up.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 am

Hmmm... either Selinis has pulled a James bond and did the confront and antagonize ...then kill when they respond and try to kill/capture in retaliation or she was actually caught off guard.

But I really don't think she was caught off guard... I think she's sandbagging. She just wants to know whose calling the shots and this was the best way to make them 'show their hand'. It possible they may not just kill the pilot as...well she's the pilot... a mistake that will likely prove fatal if they think she's... just a nosey pilot... or even if they suspect she a meddling corp agent of some sort.

Again... they go no idea who they are screwing with!

...but maybe we'll get some girl on girl action in the "captain's" office...lol! {fighting I mean... don't think the captain's in the mood for the other...welll.. maybe not... 0.O!}

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 am

Heh interesting theories ^_^

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 am

Added 2 new A* pages:
Hm, today's pages were... Well it felt like one of those days. On the other hand, I got a nicer photo of the big ink piece I did over the weekend:

Assuming I figure out how to do it, this should be going up for auction on eBay early tomorrow evening-ish.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 am

Added 1 new A* page:
I finally got that big ink piece I did over the weekend up on eBay, so you have about nine and a half days to bid on it, if you want. It's the biggest ink thing I've ever done--22"x16", which is over three times the size of a normal A* page--and just to recap, it looks like this:

Also it's the first thing I've ever tried to sell on eBay. : o It got two bids like seemingly right away, too, which was exciting, and I guess it's already pretty near the point where I feel it was worthwhile; I'd like to be able to do one or two of these big ink paintings a month, 'cause well it would help a bit with that whole rent thing. :o Anyway it's already off to a pretty good start so yay. :) And yes I will keep bugging you about it for the next ten days, probably. >_> (Okay too many emoticons, get it together.) I will try to have at least a little non-auction stuff to put in the blog too, though.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:18 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Tried updating my incredibly ancient video drivers today, which turned out to be sort of a bad idea since my computer then decided to crash at random times, or every time I tried to scan something. : P (I am writing this while installing a bajillion Windows Updates, hopefully one of them will help...) ((Nope, Windows Updating made Windows not boot anymore. System Restore to the rescue! I guess over the weekend I'll try updating again, but this time I'll do Windows Update first, THEN the years-spanning video driver update that went ahead and did some .NET Framework updating of its own last time. : P Although at this point it seems likely that nothing but Microsoft's original 2007 XP video driver will prove to be stable on this ol' system. :PP)) (((Hm except my camera's import program doesn't work now, phoo.))) ((((Actually come to think of it, what probably caused the no-booting problem was WinXP blocking the final part of the install of the last video driver revision I attempted, accusing it of being a virus or something and leaving no way to clean up the interrupted drive install gracefully.))))

Anyway presumably that's sort of sorted out for now, so let's not forget to mention that I have a big A* ink painting up for bid on eBay:

Six bids now. : ) 8 and a half days left!

~~~~~~~

You may have heard of the site TVTropes; some years back I made a little entry there for A*, and since then some gumptious readers have filled it in with a list of some of the horrible cliched plot devices I've made you suffer through on A*. It has a lot of damning evidence compiled, but there is no entry there yet for "Desk Walking," or whatever more clever name it should have, but there should be, because, as in today's page, I seem to keep coming back to scenes of characters walking around desks (often with illuminated doorways somewhere in the background, too :p). Can you recall any? I'll see how many I can get in the *spoilers to this pop quiz upcoming!* next paragraph.

Selenis, for instance, did a desk walk-around very similar to the Captain's here around the Major's desk last episode. And let's see... Well, the space station radio operator in the episode before that had a desk and a doorway, but the desk was kind of in a corner so you couldn't really walk all the way around it. No for a good ol' fashioned walk-around we gotta go back a bit further... No walking around bars and ship control panels in 16 doesn't count... Ooh Selenis did walk around the shipping operator's desk on the space station in episode 15, hah. She couldn't walk around the ticket seller's desk at the spaceport earlier in that episode, I suppose... Ooh! Flashback Selenis 0 walks around a desk in episode 14. There's *all* sorts of goings-on around desks in episode 13--well specifically Andiran's, a few times I think, and Gliese's, also a few times. Goodness me. We won't count Selenis' weird couch desk at her moon base at the start of the episode. : P It's a table rather than a full-on desk that Selenis punishes in episode 12, same with the table on Proctor and Mar's ship in 11. But! Mar wallows on his desk earlier in 11 while Proctor walks around it. Proctor kind of buzzes around Mar's terminal desk in episode 9. We won't coun't Nils' control chair in 8... The control consoles in 7 would be a bit of a stretch... Not the bar and tables in 6... Ah, but Proctor whines around Mar's desk in 5, and Mar hovered over Proctor's desk in 2.

So, lots of desk action! And don't even get me started trying to count doorway action... I was thinking earlier this evening before all the crashing that maybe this was a Freudian thing some stripe related to my quitting my ten-year game-design-industry desk job to work at home starting A*, where I don't have a real desk. Desk envy? Heck I might as well just rename this whole thing "Supermassive Desk Door," the therapeutic benefit could be huge!

Do *you* have a desk worthy of A*? Maybe if it isn't, like, work unsafe or something you could twit it to me on Twitter and I could then share it with the other readers there. Hum I should probably pony up with a proper picture of my own standing desk, which isn't a proper desk at all but a bookshelf with a hilarious step I hammered together to make it the right height. ; ) Maybe I'll have something snapped by the time tomorrow's blog rolls around.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 am

Added 1 new A* page:
eBay took my A* art auction down! They were afraid my account had been hijacked, because this was the first time I've tried to sell anything with it since I first registered way back in 2002. So they wanted me to call them and we straightened that out (yes, it's still me!), but the auction will have to be started over from scratch. Very sorry for the inconvenience to those eight people who had bid on it!! I will post the new auction link once I relist it this afternoon.

~~~~~~

*sigh* Well, on the plus side I think I got my computer straightened out, although it seems my OEM graphic card can't quite handle the actual nVidia drivers, so I'm back on Microsoft reference drivers from 2007, although these are the *updated* ones from late 2007, rather than the ones from summer 2007 that I'd been using all this time. >_> And actually the ones from later '07 have fixed the tiny compatibility issue I was having, so yay I can play my little video pinball game with all its minor graphical bells and whistles, which is all I wanted to do in the first place. I knew trying to update just for that was silly but oh well, it turned into quite an educational little adventure in computer crashing.

Speaking of my computer--and getting back to my obsession with desks that has become apparent through their many appearances in A*, as I was enumerating yesterday--you can actually see most of it in this photo of my makeshift standing desk

which is actually just a bookshelf, and a step at the bottom that I made by laying an anti-fatigue work mat over a solid block of particle boards I sawed to size and nailed together (that was as carpentery as I've ever gotten in my life : o). Oh and there's a sort of foot rest (ie some shelves supported by more nailed-together particle board blocks) at the bottom, and books I still need to read piled on the sides of that, topped on the left side by my rather neglected sketchbook (and that's the corner of my drawing table to the left of the "desk"). And then the very high top shelf holds some drawing aids, old Game Boy games >_>, and other odds and ends, and my weird old Acer Future keyboard sits on a precisely stacked pile books on top (in theory now that I've figured out the height I like I could build a lower bottom step and eliminate the need for the books on top, hum...oh but you know, the non-book height is for drawing with my drawing tablet, although I don't do that much anymore), with my monitor perched on a funny stack of books and a storage bin on top of a folding lawn chair behind it all at just the right comfortable height and viewing angle. It looks highly bizarre but is actually really comfy now that I've got it all just so.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next