comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
A* Episode 31 

Added 1 new A* page:
It's Wednesday and I should be putting up a specially selected page from the A* original art archives for sale on eBay alongside the usual new daily page paintings, but I spent way too long drawing today's page and now I don't have any time left for extra stuff tonight, doggone it. =p

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
I didn't manage it yesterday but let's call today an honorary Wednesday and have our weekly A* archive art sale! : D This week's selection is the original 17" x 7.5" (that's bigger than my modern 16" x 6.75" pages--I used to cut more off in the margins when scanning : P) ink illustration behind A* episode 18, page 2, where Selenis, clad in classic femme fatale style, stylishly makes her way through the proverbial dark alley. That's up for auction at a special low starting price for just the next week right here on eBay!

The auction listing has high resolution images where you can really zoom in and see all the crazy cross-and-other-styles-of-hatching I used on that page; here are tiny, blog-sized ones to pique your interest:

Last week I said I had just 18 ink pieces left that I was gonna offer in these little weekly (usually Wednesday : P) sales, so I guess now I just have 17 left! And if A* art sales interest you, check out the other sales on my eBay--which always include at least the latest week's worth of new watercolor page illustrations!

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's an ink sketch I sent to a reader for supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign--it's a huge help!

Thank you! : DD

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:28 am

Added 1 new A* page:
If you tried signing up for the A* forum any time between December 4th of last year up until this past weekend, and never received your activation e-mail, well that's because I'd let the forum's mail settings get out of date...again...so um well check your inbox now, because some of those long-delayed e-mails have been automatically going out since I fixed the settings a few days ago. If you still don't have it, you can use the "Resend activation e-mail" link in the forum's login panel to have a fresh copy sent--and this time, it should actually be sent to you! : p

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Galaxy Zoo: Citizen science trailblazer marks tenth birthday is a recent BBC article that mentions some colorful new types of space objects found by volunteers examining photos of outer space for the "Galaxy Zoo" citizen science project--things with informal names like Green Peas (possibly active starburst galaxies) and Yellow Balls ("early stages of massive star formation").

Most of the article revolves around another new type of space object a project volunteer found, which also received a catchy name: Hanny's Voorwerp. "Voorwerp" is Dutch for "thing" or "object"; those discussing the curious smudge Dutch schoolteacher Hanny van Arkel had spotted in a space survey photo she was examining didn't know what to make of it, so they just referred to it as "Hanny's thing" in Dutch, and, well, "voorwerp" is a pretty darn cool-sounding word for something in space, so it stuck--and since then, more "voorwerpen" or "voorwerpjes" ("small objects") have been found. Subsequent analysis by big guns of science, including instruments like the Hubble Space Telescope, has suggested they are vast clouds of intergalactic gas that have been ionized by powerful jets shooting out of actively feeding supermassive black holes at the center of adjacent galaxies, and subsequently set alight in a blaze of star formation by gas streaming out of that same galactic center. The galaxy next to Hanny's Voorwerp is not currently active, but the extra glow in the voorwerp's gases is thought to be an "echo" or reflection of a bright quasar event that took place at the galaxy's core 100,000 years ago.

Also don't miss the photo (in both the BBC and the Hanny's Voorwerp Wikipedia article) of the Teacup Galaxy--the reason for the name is obvious as soon as you see its picture. : D

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Another Wednesday archive art sale opportunity missed because I spent too long working on the page. :"| Probably used too many lines. : P

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:45 am

Added 1 new A* page:
We will eliminate facial features until proportions come out right! Yah!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 am

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I got to send to a reader for supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign : ) :

I wouldn't be able to keep making this comic without the support I get from readers through Patreon, so thank you all very much! You can pledge as little as $1 a month, which may not sound like a lot, but it's a big help to me. =")

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
With the original art for today's page, I've hiked my starting bid price for the comic's original art from $14.99 to a whopping $16.99. : o As I mentioned earlier in the year, after I'd done my taxes and found I wasn't actually making much money to speak of on sales after art supply expenses and so forth were taken into account, my scheming master plan is to get the starting bid price up to $25; I'd said I was shooting for the end of the year on that, but I'm probably a little behind that curve in my incremental increases at the moment. Oh well, we'll get there some day. Gotta be able to afford to keep making the comic!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's been bidding on my art. : ) Oh yeah and the auctions finishing this week--namely, the auctions for the original watercolor paintings behind last week's comic pages--still have their starting bid prices of $14.99, so you've still got those last chances to get in on the previous regime's price!

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Trying to loosen up with the paint a bit and that reminded me that you can use brush stroke type as well as color to differentiate things. : j

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next