comic | episodes & e-books | store | about | forum 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
A* Episode 32 

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a reward sketch I got to send to a reader for supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign--thanks very much for helping me keep A* going! : D :

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Physicists observe 'negative mass' (BBC) is a news article I've been sitting on since it came out in April, because I was afraid the wig-flipping concept of negative mass would lead me down a more or less incomprehensible hardcore particle physics wormhole that would take me untold hours to even try to navigate my way out of. Fortunately, the Wikipedia article on negative mass is mercifully constrained to the speculatively theoretical, an area I am not usually tempted to trip into.

Which does make the experiment reported in the BBC article all the more noteworthy, it being the first actual case of negative mass being reported in the laboratory. Researchers at Washington State University (in my home state! : D) say that after cooling rubidium atoms to near zero, so that they moved slowly enough to be hit by lasers, which struck them in such a way as to reverse their spin, the atoms took on behavior consistent with what would be predicted of a negative mass: namely, that when pushed (by the lasers? the articles don't say), the atoms, instead of moving with the direction of the push as boring, regular, positive masses do, moved *against* the direction of the push: "With negative mass, if you push something, it accelerates toward you. [...] It looks like the rubidium hits an invisible wall."

So, that's pretty crazy to my positive mass brain. Does this mean a negative mass would fall *upward* in a gravity field? : o Anyway, until further experiments can duplicate the findings and prove this really does appear to be "negative effective inertial mass," as Wikipedia called it, we shouldn't get too excited...I suppose. : P

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I got to send to a reader for supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign : D :

You can help me keep A* going by supporting the comic easily and automatically through Patreon for as little as $1 a month. And starting at the $3 support level, you can even get yourself cool monthly A* rewards, like e-books and sketches. : )

Thank you very much to everyone who's helped me keep A* going here for uh let me see... 8.5 years and counting! : o = DD I *really* couldn't have done it without you!

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Wednesday A* original art archive sale! This week's pick is the second-to-last weekly sale I'm going to do of pages I illustrated in ink--so next week will be the last of the ink piece sales, and in fact this week's is the last one with ink *wash* in it, for those grey mid-tones. And it's the dusty billows of episode 17, page 80, which finds Selenis in her space activity suit and good ol' bubble helmet dragging her supply pack out of the impact cloud caused by her precipitous touch down on a hostile moon! This one of a kind original 17" x 7.5" illustration (the stars in there are actually white ink spatters, you know) is up for sale for the next week only at a special low starting bid price right here on eBay!

The auction listing has high-resolution images; here are bite-sized ones to whet your appetite for A* inky artwork:

I think the shading on the figure and the billows of dust behind her were some of the most successful effects I ever managed in ink and ink wash. : )

The latest week's worth of A* watercolor page illustrations are also up for sale on eBay; you'll find 'em if you visit my eBay profile.

Remember, next week's sale will be the very last one of an A* ink page!

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Convertibles are so much more adaptable to dramatic scenes, you know.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Here's a sketch I mailed off to a reader for supporting the comic through my Patreon campaign :") :

Thanks everyone for your support! You make this comic possible! : D

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Hey I'm almost out of these sketches I've sent to supporters of my Patreon campaign to show you! Then what'll I do for blog posts on slow news days? Uhh hm well I guess I'll figure something out. : P

Thanks everyone for your support! I couldn't make this comic without youuu : D

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Tomorrow's the last of the weekly A* original ink page sales! Also the end of the second-to-last, which you can still get in on the end of here. These things take some extra time to set up since I gotta re-scan and re-photograph the pieces, so I'm gonna go get a tiny jump start on that tonight.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Wednesday original A* art sale! And it's a special one: the very last of the ink page weekly sales! It's the 16" x 6.75" ink illustration I did for episode 18, page 57, with Selenis and the Major, on an airless moon in a vast interstellar cloud of charged particles, examining footprints in the dust. It is now up for auction at a special low starting bid price right here on eBay for the next week only!

Here are tiny versions of the high-res images of the piece that you'll find in the eBay listing:

That piece was probably my most intense hatching work in the ink phase of the comic. : )

And that'll do it for the original ink sales! But if you happen to like watercolor, you'll find the latest week's worth of new A* watercolor pages also on sale through my eBay.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Added 1 new A* page:
Okay I have to go color-coordinate my arcade stick buttons now!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:04 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next