Added 2 new A* pages:Had an annoying headache today and didn't think I was gonna get more than one page done, but then I drank like a couple gallons of water (yes my life is this exciting!), the headache got better, and I got on some kind of roll; not only did page 141 there come out, and I think that's one of my best efforts on this comic so far (I do like close-ups, so that helped :), but I also fixed some eh body width issues with Selenis on pages 137 and 138. Man! I wish I could be "on" like this every day.|
Although 141 was a bit of a battle; as I mentioned yesterday, sometimes trying to work straight from a storyboard image just doesn't work, and I relied on that method for both pages today, which I knew was pushing it, and sure enough, it didn't work with 141, so after a long struggle, I had to give up on that attempt and start over from scratch. Gar. Some day I will get better at this and waste less time.
Since I did a Vero artwork comparison recently (ooh, which I posted in the episode's thread on the forum, but forgot to put into the news--well here it is), and since I've now done a low-light profile close-up of Selenis in several chapters now, I thought I'd make a little art comparison of her from that; here she is from episode 9, page 65 on the left, vs the more recent 10:139 on the right:
This is a trickier comparison since they're only about 1.5 episodes apart, but I've at least managed to get Selenis' facial features a little more distinct, as opposed to defaulting to the sort of Greek statue look she had in the older drawing; that also helps when trying to make her face a little more animated, I think. And I've learned a thing or two about eyebrows since the first version, where she...doesn't really have eyebrows, since I got uncertain about it and just left the vaguely eyebrow-shaped shadow on her lower forehead to cover for me. =P I think the eyelashes--and the hair in general, for that matter--have gotten a little better in the meantime, too. And production-wise, drawing the new profile took way less time; on the old one I spent ages just trying to get the bridge of her nose into a decent position, for instance. And finally, the more subtle shadow layers I use now give the newer drawing smoother shades.
But! Looking at the lower part of the older one, I notice that I streamlined the nostrils and lips into nothingness or close to nothingness in the new one, whereas I'd spent a lot of time--and fairly successfully, for me--working them out in the old one. So I should try to remember that: don't skimp on lips and nostrils, self! The old one *was* supposed to be lit more from the front than the new one, so they'd stand out more, but still, I definitely skimped a bit in the more recent drawing, particularly on the (nonexistent) nostil.